Plastic Coated Keg to Kettle Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roz762

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just came by a free sankey keg and I want to convert it to a kettle. I do partial volume boils at the moment and I would like to move into full volume boils and possibly all grain, but I need a kettle large enough. Is it possible to strip off the plastic and turn this into a kettle? Has anyone else been successful at this? I do want to say that I want this to be a kettle and not a mash tun.

Thanks!

Here's what it looks like:

Keg.jpg

I would trade it to someone with a non coated one for a kettle. Unless you are putting an electric element in it.

I've thought about a mash tun, but I don't even own a kettle for full volume boils yet, so to use it as a mash tun is kind of backwards.

Can the plastic be removed so it can be used as a kettle?

I am sure it could, but it doesn't make any sense. Find something else to use for you kettle or go electric.

I certainly haven't ruled that out. At this point it does make sense because I got the keg for free. I have a turkey/fish fryer and to be able to make this a kettle would be the first option.

I still have one of those kegs sitting in my shop. I just got a regular keg instead to make a boil kettle out of. From what I've read about them, they won't have the handles/lip section to sit flat on, so you'll end up with something that won't really sit flat and not roll over.

I know you really want to make a kettle out of this. Removing the plastic will prove to be a real pain (from what I've read). I received two similar kegs. I waited to get regular kegs to convert.

I will be using the plastic coated kegs to make into fermenters.

I picked one of these up to ferment in and removing the rubber is a PITA! I used an angle grinder to cut into the rubber easily enough so that I could pry it off - sort of. But the dust those things spew is nasty and if you try to use a wet rag to wipe it clean the black stuff turns into pure evil. Thankfully, I just needed to cut a hole in the bottom (now top) for a lid. Removing everything would be nasty and not worth the effort.

P.S. The stainless on these things is thinner than regular kegs

I have one that I am going to turn into a MT this spring. I am going to put the drain on the bottom with either a copper manifold or a cut keg top made into a false bottom.

I picked one of these up to ferment in and removing the rubber is a PITA! I used an angle grinder to cut into the rubber easily enough so that I could pry it off - sort of. But the dust those things spew is nasty and if you try to use a wet rag to wipe it clean the black stuff turns into pure evil. Thankfully, I just needed to cut a hole in the bottom (now top) for a lid. Removing everything would be nasty and not worth the effort.

P.S. The stainless on these things is thinner than regular kegs

Do you have some pics of your work? Thanks

Back