Plastic boil kettles (pail)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot tap water isn't a good idea for brewing with (water heaters tend to concentrate minerals in odd ways, and you can get off tastes in the water), but it's good as a test for raising from mash run-off temperatures to boiling.

Dont tell owly55 that...

My tankless hot water heater has a warning on it thats states its not for potable water use... I assume this is because there are some heavy metals like perhaps lead using in the heat exchangers contruction..

I would guess it has more to due with liability than the water coming out of the unit. If you put no sticker on it, might one assume it is safe for potable use? So the choices are either potable, or non potable and the expense of certifying as potable would kill the lamb.

They are already being used in the "real world."

I'm still trying to find the perfect plastic bucket to suit my needs. The trouble is the weather is turning nice and needing one for indoor winter brewing is becoming moot.

Though like you, the idea of saving time during the weekday is intriguing.

Have you looked at the 13 gallon barrels on Ebay? I use one with the locking ring top as a fermenter. It was formerly used to hold "Soy meal based growth supplement" that is technically food grade but not used for growing food and it is shipped in its own thick bag in the barrel. I am sure I am on another watch list now.

$25 delivered.

I would guess it has more to due with liability than the water coming out of the unit. If you put no sticker on it, might one assume it is safe for potable use? So the choices are either potable, or non potable and the expense of certifying as potable would kill the lamb.

good point... or they might use non leadfree brass or solder in it construction since its made overseas...

Have you looked at the 13 gallon barrels on Ebay? I use one with the locking ring top as a fermenter. It was formerly used to hold "Soy meal based growth supplement" that is technically food grade but not used for growing food and it is shipped in its own thick bag in the barrel. I am sure I am on another watch list now.

$25 delivered.

Are you talking about the blue ones? I think they're a bit too big for my needs/my space... I need to look at them, but I'm looking for something that doesn't take a heck of a lot of space, both on brewday and in storage.

Are you talking about the blue ones? I think they're a bit too big for my needs/my space... I need to look at them, but I'm looking for something that doesn't take a heck of a lot of space, both on brewday and in storage.

The 13 gallon ones are much smaller than you might think. The seller that keeps calling them a "gallon" gives pretty detailed dimension (he is more expensive, though). These are not the 30/50/55 gallon drums. They are slightly taller than an ale pail but only a bout an inch bigger in diameter.

Back