Plastic bags for lining inside homer buckets (Bulk Grain Storage)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mplutodh1

Reaction score
What's the best bag to use to line the homer buckets when using them to store bulk grains? Most garbage bags I've read are not for use with food.

I've seen several photos of folks using the homer buckets lined with plastic bags and just curious what everyone is using. Still deciding on our storage method but the homer buckets are the right price that's for sure!

I've never lined them with anything. They're HDPE, the same grade of plastic used for all kinds of food-grade buckets. This has been discussed elsewhere, but I believe the conclusion was that the dye used in the homer buckets might keep them from getting a food grade rating. I trust the HDPE at least as much as the plastic bags the grains come in from the homebrew store.
....that said, I may later die a horrible death from plastic bucket dye leaching into my grain supply.

I store my grain in unlined homer buckets.

My reasoning - which may be faulty - is this:
Virgin HDPE is food grade
There is no evidence either way whether the dye in the homer buckets is food grade - it's likely that it's food grade but untested or not worth the certification. It's also possible that home depot doesn't want the buckets marked as food grade due to possible in store use which would render used buckets unsuitable for food use. Simple to avoid if the customer carefully inspects buckets before purchase.
Many toxins have a smell to them - which the buckets don't after rinsing
Those toxins that don't emit a smell in an undisturbed state require something to release them.
Solvent, heat, and abrasion are generally the three main transfer means for same toxins. Dry grain sitting on a shelf has none of these characteristics.
I've worked agricultural jobs. I've seen the trucks used to transport food goods. I worry about them more than the homer bucket.

Back