Planting in tires.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
I'm going to take a shot at growing some hops this year. I've been reading up quite a bit on how to care for them. From what I understand, the roots will grow downward, but you want to keep the rhizomes from growing outward.
I have some old tires sitting around on my property. I figured rather than pay to dispose of them, I would find a creative use for them. Would planting my rhizomes in them help keep them under control? Would it hurt to try?

I don't think it would be a problem as long as the tires are not leaching chemicals into the ground. If they are, I would avoid using them as those chemicals are going to make their way into your hops, then to your beer, then to you.

As far as preventing lateral growth, I'm not sure if the tires would be deep enough to prevent all the lateral growth, but it might prevent some.

Unless you bury part of the tire, don't expect it to stop them.

I had a railroad tie next ot my Sunbeams to mark the mowing line, they went right under it and poped up out about two feet from the main crown.

Automotive tires will not leach anything. They do not break down. They are vulcanized.

I would suggest 3 tires; 2 underground, and one above filled with dirt. As far as leaching chems, I wouldn't worry about it for hops, it's not like you eat a lb of them everyday.

Back