Planning out a new system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenDog

Reaction score
So a while back I built this guy after doing a ton of reading and sweating over small details. The system worked great, but my wife and I decided to relocate and I sold the system in order to help with the move. I did advise her though that if I was selling the system it came with a price and that was that one day I would be able to rebuild bigger and better and that day is here.

So here's the plan.
I'm looking at building a 10 gallon system with the ability to still do 5 gallon batches if needed. (I have a basic 5 gallon gas setup now, but would like to be able to do away with that entirely.) To make this more feasible I'm thinking that if I went 15/15/20 for my pot sizes I could always swap my HLT with my boil kettle to keep the element submerged depending on what I get, which I'll consider in a minute.
I haven't decided on RIMS or HERMS yet so I could be swayed either way. While I like the idea of a HERMS for simplicity going this route would certainly add to some time to my brew day since the HLT couldn't be ramped up to mash out temp in advance without stopping recirculation early. Also flipping the pots for smaller batches would be problematic. RIMS on the other hand would certainly add versatility, but at a higher cost, a little more plumbing and more work inside the control panel.
Speaking of the panel, I don't plan on going too crazy, but I would like to have temp control for the HLT and MT along with switches for both pumps. It seems that having temp control for the BK isn't really necessary, but if I want to swap pots around I guess I have to plan for that as well. I have a friend who is a master electrician so this is probably my least concerned area, I'll just buy the guts and let him go to town.
As far as the frame and it's placement it will likely be made out of wood since that will be far cheaper than metal even if I do all the welding myself. For location I have two options, either the basement or the attached garage. The basement would be preferable, but I have no utility sink since the waste line doesn't go to the floor so I would have to install a pump to make that work. The garage on the other hand I could just use the faucet outside or an adaptor in the bathroom in the winter.

So here is where I'm at. I need to decide what components I want based on some of the things I've outlined. For pots I'm considering either the Blichmann G1 blemished from Great Fermentations, Spike or Mega Pots and getting all the fittings from brewhardware.com. The Blichmanns and Spike would be slightly more than the Mega Pots after the additions, but I certainly like the sightglasses better. Any other ideas here are certainly welcome, but I have to be somewhat mindful of price.
As for the heating elements I definitely like the boil coils, but I worry that doing small batches I wouldn't be able to submerge the element even on the 15g pot, I'll have to look into that. Again brewhardware.com is a likely option for my elements, but then I have to get some tri-cloves welded on if I want cleaning to be easy.
For the mash the Hop Rocket/coil would be an easy option, but again Bobby_M has a pretty nice tube design. If I went HERMS I'm not sure where I would find what I need.
For a panel I'll probably order a builders kit from somewhere just so I don't have to place a bunch of small orders and let my buddy do his thing.
For all my plumbing again probably brewhardware.com. I ordered all cam-locs and Chuggers before and they served me well.

I guess this ramble is as much for me to help get my ideas down as to ask for opinions. Overall the goal is to build something that is all eclectic with some versatility for smaller batches, automated temperature control that produces very repeatable results.
I've got about 15 years to retirement and we have often talked about opening a small restaurant with a 2-5 bbl system on site so this is the basis for some long term plans, so it needs to have the durability to be brewing test market batches 10+ years from now.

If you made it through reading all this, thanks and I look forward to your ideas.

Oh and if someone can make a case for a Brutus 20 or Easybrew I'll happily hear that argument.

thumb2_20130513_1749241-60245.jpg

It sort of sounds like you may be leaning towards RIMs as a whole, which is fine. I personally felt it was hard to choose and ended up with HERMs just simply because I don't intend to swap pots and such. I do know that if you start digging around for answers to HERMs or RIMs then you'll end up just having to flip a coin or at the very least deciding what system requires more or less equipment and what is your fancy.

Now are you saying your BK will be 20g or was that the HLT? You can do 10 gallons in 15 gallon vessels, but I believe the cost difference between 15 and 20 gallon kettles wasn't much. Something to consider and just go with 20 gallon kettles and keep that element low in the event you want to do 5 gallon batches.

Yeah the price is so close on the 15g and a 20g it would be best to go all 20g. I guess the reason I said 15/15/20 was I had the blichmanns in my head for the boil coil and how much liquid you would need to submerge the element in one vs the other, but if I went with a stainless hot water heater style element I could certainly put it much lower in the pot and not have to worry about switching pots for smaller volumes. I guess that solves one problem, stay away for the boil coil.
So a question for you on the HERMS, I would love to go this route for the simplicity so here is the question. How much time do you feel it adds by having to ramp up your temps after mashing is complete instead of having the mash out water ready at the end of the mash? Also have you ever done a smaller batch where your HERMS coil isn't completely submerged? I guess you can add as much to the HLT as you want and that has no effect on batch size, it's just a waste of water and time for heating.

Ok so thinking about this a little more if I did a HERMS setup and went with say 50' of 1/2" stainless I could probably double that as a counter flow chiller and just fill the HLT with cold water and ice.

I can't speak for the boil coils, but in my own personal experience...after trying a few other configurations...

Go with the wavy heating element and the brewhardware.com heating element enclosure and the triclover that gets silver soldered onto the outside of the pot. Silver soldering isn't that hard and having a removable heating element is so very helpful when cleaning the element. I love it.

I can't speak for the boil coils, but in my own personal experience...after trying a few other configurations...

Go with the wavy heating element and the brewhardware.com heating element enclosure and the triclover that gets silver soldered onto the outside of the pot. Silver soldering isn't that hard and having a removable heating element is so very helpful when cleaning the element. I love it.

Yeah whatever I do, the power cord has to be removable for cleaning. I've been thinking it might be a worthy investment to do welded fitting so if I go that route I'll probably do a tri-clove removable element.

Yeah whatever I do, the power cord has to be removable for cleaning. I've been thinking it might be a worthy investment to do welded fitting so if I go that route I'll probably do a tri-clove removable element.

Welding is expensive if you can't do it yourself, and I've seen some real nightmare pics of welded fittings. I'd definitely recommend silver soldered over welded. If you mess up a solder you can always heat it up and try again.

Welding is expensive if you can't do it yourself, and I've seen some real nightmare pics of welded fittings. I'd definitely recommend silver soldered over welded. If you mess up a solder you can always heat it up and try again.

If I went with welded fitting I would probably go with Spike kettles and just have him do everything to my specs, although I've got several people to turn to if I ended up wanting the welding done myself.

If you do decide to go the HERMS route you can find a HERMS coil for a decent price at stainlessbrewing.com. I'm happy with my 50' 1/2" coil. Ramps temps nicely.

But if I were to do things over again I might go the Blichman hop rocket / RIMS rocket route. That thing is pretty sweet.

I did basically the same as you - had a setup, moved for the lady, built a full E-HERMS. You can see build info in my signature. Things I'd change - triclover for the elements with some sort of plug at the element end, for cleaning. Soldered connections for pretty much everything (instead of bulk head) just because (the bulk heads haven't leaked). I'd make sure my return ports at the top were as high as possible to prevent overflow out of those ports. I'd drop the analog temperature probe from the BK. I'd also go with the upside down setup so I could do bottom-drain on all my kettles for easier cleaning and 100% draining.

-Kevin

Back