Planning on stepping up to 5 gallon batches. Suggestions????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsigmon1103

Reaction score
So ive been researching brewing for a couple of months and have made 3 batches (ferming the 3rd batch now) so far and things seem to be going pretty well. The work that goes into a batch of beer 2 gallons just doesnt seem to pay off. I've looked at many threads and searching aot of equipment. What i'm wondering is:

Option 1 - Is it cheaper to purchase everything in one lump purchase or accumulate things over time? My wife will not be too happy and and it may take some bargainning, but i think i can swing it.

Option 2 - I could also buy the kit without the kettle. this is why.... let me know what you think. I work for a sheet metal fab shop. I was going to get them to make me a kettle. I can most likely get the material/labor for nothing and would purchase a thermowell, spiggot attachment, and whatever other fancy gadgets i want on there.

If i dont move to 5 gallon batches soon, im just going to get 2 or 3 2 gallon fermenters and make a few batches at once.

If your really into brewing just jump to as big of a kettle as you can afford or make yourself etc. it will save you in the long run.

I have my shop making this for me right now. We'll see how it turns out.

conical Layout1 (1).jpg

Conical fermenters are def nice to have. Just get the other things you need here & there to put together a set up that won't break the bank. That should keep momma happy.

So ive been researching brewing for a couple of months and have made 3 batches (ferming the 3rd batch now) so far and things seem to be going pretty well. The work that goes into a batch of beer 2 gallons just doesnt seem to pay off. I've looked at many threads and searching aot of equipment. What i'm wondering is:

Option 1 - Is it cheaper to purchase everything in one lump purchase or accumulate things over time? My wife will not be too happy and and it may take some bargainning, but i think i can swing it.

Option 2 - I could also buy the kit without the kettle. this is why.... let me know what you think. I work for a sheet metal fab shop. I was going to get them to make me a kettle. I can most likely get the material/labor for nothing and would purchase a thermowell, spiggot attachment, and whatever other fancy gadgets i want on there.

If i dont move to 5 gallon batches soon, im just going to get 2 or 3 2 gallon fermenters and make a few batches at once.

Since you've already done some brewing you probably don't need a whole kit. quite frankly, all you probably need is a larger pot and mash tun. I paid $50 for an 8 gallon aluminum pot that I drilled a hole and added a spigot too and I also bought a $40 cooler from home depot that I also put a spigot on. I also bought 50 feet of copper tubing and made my own wort chiller. the tubing was $60. it's not a mandatory but honestly, I loved the fact that I chilled my wort in 10 minutes versus 90 mins in my bathtub.

Back