Planning on brewing a Belgian dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonGavlar

Reaction score
So, as the title states, I plan on brewing a Belgian dubbel soon.

I've always read about people bottling their belgians and leaving them for months on end to condition. However, I plan on popping mine into a keg and getting it on tap.

The OG is looking at somewhere between 070-075. If I leave this in the fermenter for say 3 weeks and then transfer to keg, how long am I looking at before this is not only drinkable but enjoyable? Its just I dont really want to dedicate one of my kegs to the beer if its going to be months sat aging.

Am I better off just bottling and forgetting about it for a while? Any thought appreciated, preferably want it on tap.

So, as the title states, I plan on brewing a Belgian dubbel soon.

I've always read about people bottling their belgians and leaving them for months on end to condition. However, I plan on popping mine into a keg and getting it on tap.

The OG is looking at somewhere between 070-075. If I leave this in the fermenter for say 3 weeks and then transfer to keg, how long am I looking at before this is not only drinkable but enjoyable? Its just I dont really want to dedicate one of my kegs to the beer if its going to be months sat aging.

Am I better off just bottling and forgetting about it for a while? Any thought appreciated, preferably want it on tap.
Generally, I think Belgian beers are a bit more interesting when bottle conditioned at a fairly high carb level. But, like you, I wanted to keg mine this time - I kept my OG in the 60s and plan on reaching a semi- dry FG then cold crash, fine, and keg. I don’t think a 7% dubbel will need extended aging to be very enjoyable.

I did a tripel with trappist high gravity (actually Omega Belgian W, but same thing), pitch a 1L starter, kegged at 12 days, force-carbbed by shaking, and drank it on day 14. Ramped fermentation temperature to 82 by day 5, hit FG at day 8 or 9, cold-crashed from there. Smooth, 9%+ ABV, fruity esters came through really nicely. I am very happy and it would be a house beer execpt that having something that big on tap is just too big for a regular drink - I brewed it for Christmas.

My quad (Westy XII clone) is still ageing in secondary, and I can see where the extra couple of points of alcohol and the darker candi syrup flavors will get better over time. It was really nice out of primary though.

In other words: I think you will be fine.

Great to here, thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and give this beer the same treatment my others get. If it doesn't work out, well... I'll know for next time.

Westmalle dubbel, (one of) the best example(s) of this style, is available on draft as well, so I'm sure it should work out!

Great to here, thanks guys.

I'll go ahead and give this beer the same treatment my others get. If it doesn't work out, well... I'll know for next time.
Just bottle a little bit on the side, so that you can double check if it would have gotten more awesome after some time has passed.

I've done dubbels in both bottle and keg. I prefer the bottle conditioning. I'm sure it has something to do with the creamier head that comes from bottle conditioning, bringing out all the nuances of the beer, vs the kegged version. As far as timing, I would leave it in the secondary for a couple months before kegging, at least. /cheers

Back