Planning my first big beers- How long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

formula2fast

Reaction score
So I am planning my first couple of big beers. 1 is a Russian Imperial Stout, and the other one is a Two Brother's Hop Juice (Imperial IPA). I always hear of people talking about letting big beers like this ferment for 3-6 months, some even longer.

Are we talking about that long in a secondary carboy, or bottle conditioning that long. With most of my beers, I do 2-3 weeks in a primary and 3-4 in the secondary depending on flavor and gravity.

I would think that leaving a beer in the secondary for 6 months would leave off flavors from any yeast cake that develops.

Am I correct to assume that these guys are referring to bottle conditioning/fermentation for this long period of time?

For the RIS leave it in the primary for 4 weeks then move it to a secondary for 6 months to a year. For the IIpa just 3 to 4 weeks primary then its up to you where you want to dry hop either primary or move to secondary.

Should I leave the RIS to bottle condition for longer than that average 3-4 weeks, or will it be good to go after sitting in the secondary for the extended period of time.

Depending on how big that RIS is, it will take a while to carb up. Just bottle and leave them alone as long as you can stand it.

I just bottled some RIS about 3 weeks ago and I'm sure it's not fully carbed, but I'm opening one tomorrow anyway bc I am too curious for my own good.

It comes in (according to BeerTools Pro) at 1.098, so not huge for a RIS. So 6-12 months in the secondary and over 4 weeks to carb? Or should I do a couple months in the secondary and then 6 months to bottle condition?

I wouldn't over think it. Just go with your gut. There is no steadfast "rule". We're not building rockets, just making some beer, ya know?

Let it bulk age in the secondary for a month, or 3 if you prefer, bottle it up and wait a month to crack one open. You'll know if its ready or not when you crack that first one open.

There are tons of technical resources out there for our hobby, but a lot of it is "tribal knowledge". Just see how it goes and then you'll know what to do next time.

You are right...I do over think this way too much. Perhaps I will go with a couple months in the secondary and a couple in the bottles, and then crack one every month or so and see when it is right.

My rule of thumb for bottle conditioning is one month of age for each %ABV over 3%.

Of course people will note that this puts your typical 5% beer at 8 weeks of aging and to that I say, "Yeah. That sounds about right."

Reportedly beers age more quickly in a bulk secondary. Leaving it with that bit of yeast sediment is no worse than bottle conditioning it.

Bear in mind though that if you do use an extended secondary, you will want to use some extra/fresh yeast at bottling time to ensure corbonation.

Back