Places to buy assembled keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
Are there any out there for a decent price? The only ones I have found are Sabco and they are 500 and up which is well above my budget. I was hoping for 100 dollars a keggle or so.

Thanks.

The cost to acquire a keg legally is about $100. The to clean it up, cut the top of, cut holes, weld in ball valve, thermometer and sight glass you are looking at a few hundred dollars.

Kegglebrewing.com is a pretty good vendor and I've heard lots of good things about his stuff.

You can DIY everything with some basic tools pretty easily as well for a lot less money than buying a pre built one. It may looks hard and complicated but mine only required 2 tools and about 2 hours. An angle grinder to cut off the top, and a drill to cut the holes with a step bit. Then install weldless fittings and you're done.

That would work as one but like you said you would need to add a false bottom or a manifold or the ball valve. Most online homebrew stores sell false bottoms that are meant to fit kegs. If you want to go the manifold or braid route then it is pretty easy to make one from readily available parts at home depot.

Terry at Keggle Brewing is a great guy to deal with! I got my three Keggles from him and couldn't be happier. Compared to Sabco his prices are a bigtime bargin. Terry can supply the False Bottom and the stainless steel dip tube also. All you need to do is call Terry and tell him what you want.

To answer you're original question there is All Grain Beer Brewing System from Synergy Metalworking
down in Eugene. I haven't bought anything from him, but have heard good things. He will sell the keggles separately.

There is also a welder who advertises on craigslist in Portland periodically, that will convert a supplied Keg. For a fair price.

Oh ya www.fhsteinbart.com (LHBS) in Portland also sells keggles among other kettles and supplies. Call or go into the store, their website is kind of lacking.

Also check craigslist, sometimes complete one's pop up for sale.

I would get them locally, any deal out of state will be killed by shipping.

Looking into Synergy I saw their March 809 pumps as "add $175".
That alone made me stop looking any deeper into their site.
Maybe just me when I see a price like that a red flag pops up
and i'll look around.

As mentioned go weldless, if your already into it in labor drilling the holes and cutting the top you might as well have it set up and ready to weld.
Pay for the welding only, labors on you to keep the price down.

Sabco and others are in the business to make money which is business, many people do not have the equipment or ability to prep a keg for a welder or no friends that can help hence they pay those big prices.
Labor is the killer, parts run a second then the shipping. Three strikes I say prep as above, with this saved money buy more needed brewing items.

Email [email protected] and see if he has any kegs available. Then use the Craigslist guy or find a local welder to install what you need. Total cost not much more than you want to spend and you get a nice day trip up to Hood River.

ps - If you go PM me and pick up an extra one for me. I'll give you the cash + some gas money.

edit : I think this guy is an excellent welder - not used him yet. His brother did some machine shop work for me and was super fast and excellent and well priced.

Cycle Metrics
Gary Black (503) 292-5510‎
10410 NW Thompson Rd
Portland, OR 97229-3810

I was just giving him local options. Their all good ones. Every company has it's good deals and bad one's. But non of them sell keggle's for $100, but they are cheaper than Sabco.

To get them complete for a $100 or close to it, they would have to be a used score. So check craigslist daily, if you don't want to make your own. Or buy cheap kegs, find a welder, and mail order the fittings.

There is a member on here, selling 2 keggles for a $100 each, he is in Washington though.

To answer you're original question there is All Grain Beer Brewing System from Synergy Metalworking
down in Eugene. I haven't bought anything from him, but have heard good things. He will sell the keggles separately.

There is also a welder who advertises on craigslist in Portland periodically, that will convert a supplied Keg. For a fair price.

Oh ya F. H. Steinbart Company - Beer and Wine Making Supplies and Equipment (LHBS) in Portland also sells keggles among other kettles and supplies. Call or go into the store, their website is kind of lacking.

Also check craigslist, sometimes complete one's pop up for sale.

I would get them locally, any deal out of state will be killed by shipping.

I am in the process of checking in with the brew shop using the link you provided. They have kegs with welded fittings and ball valves and thermometers. I want to buy two but that may be cost prohibitive. If it doesn't work out with them I may check with that guy in hood river. I am guessing a bare keg is about 40 bucks then all of the add ons and work it takes to make it to a keggle. Probably won't be much more expensive just to buy the ones that are already built but you might know more than I do.

Email [email protected] and see if he has any kegs available. Then use the Craigslist guy or find a local welder to install what you need. Total cost not much more than you want to spend and you get a nice day trip up to Hood River.

ps - If you go PM me and pick up an extra one for me. I'll give you the cash + some gas money.

edit : I think this guy is an excellent welder - not used him yet. His brother did some machine shop work for me and was super fast and excellent and well priced.

Cycle Metrics
Gary Black (503) 292-5510‎
10410 NW Thompson Rd
Portland, OR 97229-3810

I am looking into the brew shop posted above but will let you know how that turns out. I may just end up going to hood river.

The average price to buy a keg off of craigslist is between $30-40. The LHBS sold me a weldless ball valve and bazooka screen and after tax I paid $51. If you don't have a step bit that will cost you almost $40. The SS cutting disks are right at $2 each, but 1 will do for your purpose. You will need an air sander and the disks to ensure that your cut is cleaned up. That should be about everything that you need.

Make sure you look at what chiller you are going to be using before deciding on what you are going to connect to the bulkhead. I used an immersion wort chiller and I didn't care for it with the bazooka screen. I am buying the shirron plate chiller to solve my problem. Good luck!

The average price to buy a keg off of craigslist is between $30-40. The LHBS sold me a weldless ball valve and bazooka screen and after tax I paid $51. If you don't have a step bit that will cost you almost $40. The SS cutting disks are right at $2 each, but 1 will do for your purpose. You will need an air sander and the disks to ensure that your cut is cleaned up. That should be about everything that you need.

Make sure you look at what chiller you are going to be using before deciding on what you are going to connect to the bulkhead. I used an immersion wort chiller and I didn't care for it with the bazooka screen. I am buying the shirron plate chiller to solve my problem. Good luck!

If you are going to use a plate chiller make sure you either buy or make a hop stopper or use LiL' Sparkies Paint Filter assembly. If you don't you will clog up the plate chiller for sure.

Back