Plaato Airlock - Any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I see someone close to me selling a Plaato Airlock on Kijiji for $75. Seems reasonable enough, but is it worth it? Does it work well?

Thanks in advance...

fwiw, and feel free to ignore: can't speak to the functionality of that device, but even if it works well, I wouldn't pay more than 50% of retail on used gear particularly electronics just out of GPs, as there likely won't be any warranty coverage and who knows how gently electronics of that sort have been treated...

Cheers!

fwiw, and feel free to ignore: can't speak to the functionality of that device, but even if it works well, I wouldn't pay more than 50% of retail on used gear particularly electronics just out of GPs, as there likely won't be any warranty coverage and who knows how gently electronics of that sort have been treated...

Cheers!
Good point. Thanks.

If it is the one I used on my last brew it was really cool. Gave me the temp, the OG and FG along with ABV and bubbles per minute. The last stat seemed silly, but it was really helpful to see when the fermentation was done. My wife bought it for me for Xmas, so I can only figure she paid the 99.00 that it sells for at Morebeer. I would say go for it, if it looks reasonably in good shape. Also, and this is a side note, I bought a used Windshield for my motorcycle years ago, and it did not come with one of the mounting brackets. I emailed the shield company, Memphis Shades, and they sent me a new bracket free of charge. The letter said, it is our product, doesn't matter where or who you bought it from. Point being, maybe Plaato will stand by it regardless of if you were the original purchaser.

If it is the one I used on my last brew it was really cool. Gave me the temp, the OG and FG along with ABV and bubbles per minute. The last stat seemed silly, but it was really helpful to see when the fermentation was done. My wife bought it for me for Xmas, so I can only figure she paid the 99.00 that it sells for at Morebeer. I would say go for it, if it looks reasonably in good shape. Also, and this is a side note, I bought a used Windshield for my motorcycle years ago, and it did not come with one of the mounting brackets. I emailed the shield company, Memphis Shades, and they sent me a new bracket free of charge. The letter said, it is our product, doesn't matter where or who you bought it from. Point being, maybe Plaato will stand by it regardless of if you were the original purchaser.
The ad says 'never used', so for $75 I might go for it. ($75 CDN is l ike $55 US). I do like the idea of not having to take hydrometer measurements because I don't think I ever really get it right.

The ad says 'never used', so for $75 I might go for it. ($75 CDN is l ike $55 US). I do like the idea of not having to take hydrometer measurements because I don't think I ever really get it right.
I still took readings just in case. As I use it more, I will see how accurate it is. But, for me, the knowledge of knowing when the fermentation is done was cool. Plus, I am horrible with electronic stuff, but this had a cool factor to it. LOL.

For 55 bucks US dollars, if you don't want it, I will buy it from you. LOL.

Back