pizza stone suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's one of those. It's designed specifically for the 22.5" Weber kettle. Awesome. To get it that ^^ hot, you also need the large steel that sells separately. The grill gets so hot that the pizza cooks in 2 minutes - seriously. So, I burned a few pizzas before I got the hang of it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005SFJLOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016X26ZY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 639214
Thanks, that's pretty cool. I see someone has already chimed in on using it. Grilled pizza is finicky and I was trying to wrap my head around how this works vs just putting it on the stone and putting lid on. I figure it is meant to trap heat, because when you move lid, heat escapes. Thus bottom cooks before the top at those high temps. Putting a top right above it seems a good idea and thus the two stone in oven. The fix I have seen for basic grilled pizza is to elevate stone on cans. Getting the pizza higher in that dome would help the top. Might bring steel down a little but I suspect would be worth it.

Oops, edit, saw the second link. That's pretty cool, with the steel over it, and solves a lot of problems. Then you get a steel for fried rice and steaks!

I see the PC stone as not a pizza stone but stone cookware. I make multiple pizzas and throwing potentially cold dough on it scared me. For 35 or whatever it costs might be worth the try but I have seen lots of break stories. Leaving it to cool in oven is good idea as is being mindful of what you put on it. They are only rated to 450 or 500 iirc and I wouldn't push it. I am not sure its replaces a thick quality piece of stone or steel but ymmv.

Has anyone used a granite pizza stone? Just curious as to how well they perform. I can usually get pieces of granite for just a few bucks a square foot and I have the tools to cut it. How thick it it?

I've used the same $13 dollar pizza stone from Home Depot for 5+ years. It's permanent residence is in the oven, but it has seen numerous uses on the grill too. The key is to not let it heat up too fast, or cool down too fast. I learned that lesson on the $75 pampered chef stone that didn't live past it's first use in the oven.

I've since moved on to my Blackstone Pizza oven, but can recommend a cheap stone to see if it's something you'll even use on a regular basis.

I bought one from here over 10 years ago: https://bakingstone.com

It's a beast. 3/4" and about 20lbs. If you put it on a grill you need a metal heat deflector for it. They sell that too.

Not cheap but you get what you pay for. I wasted about $50 on 3 stones that cracked after a couple uses before i shelled out the $80 or so on this one.

+1 Bought two of these 3/4" stones for my Uncle at least 10 years ago. They get used tons. Both are still in one piece.

Man I'm getting hungry for pizza now :)
Dough is rising as I write this.

FWIW that first link to Baking Stone got back to me and they too need to burned off or seasoned as does the cordierite. They are 59.00 shipped, opposed to 39. shipped albeit 1/4" thicker at 3/4 total.
I just hate when something needs to be burned off and it takes years to do so with a stank in the house every time it's used.

I just hate when something needs to be burned off and it takes years to do so with a stank in the house every time it's used.

I had the same problem with the gfrc one my kid made me... after the third time using it I decided to just leave in the grill for a couple of hours at about 400. That took care of the problem. I let it cool overnight and then seasoned it again.

I had the same problem with the gfrc one my kid made me... after the third time using it I decided to just leave in the grill for a couple of hours at about 400. That took care of the problem. I let it cool overnight and then seasoned it again.
I do not know GRFC but I ask about these cordierite ones... I might have to get one from France that is not one that stinks. I bought a pig and butchered it in the kitchen here, and cooked some of it in the old wall oven, it was not an orchard pig and it had a light hint of a scent like the pig hair. I did not hit the bladder when gutting it. But that stank drove me nuts every time it was turned on. New oven. My sniffer is so good I can smell Monostat 7 from across the room

I built this in my backyard a few years ago. It works great but I only use it when we are having a lot company over and need to cook 10 to 15 pizzas. I use this one on my grill all the time. It gets hot and always does the trick. You can even use it on top of your stove or in your oven. But if I was going to use my oven I would use a stone it would be simpler. Bed Bath and Beyond has a pizza stone that sits in a stainless steel tray so when or if it cracks it is still usable. I know because I broke my stone on my grill, before I bought the grill oven.

Damon
20190807_164905~2.jpeg
20190807_164956~2.jpeg

I built this in my backyard a few years ago. It works great but I only use it when we are having a lot company over and need to cook 10 to 15 pizzas. I use this one on my grill all the time. It gets hot and always does the trick. You can even use it on top of your stove or in your oven. But if I was going to use my oven I would use a stone it would be simpler. Bed Bath and Beyond has a pizza stone that sits in a stainless steel tray so when or if it cracks it is still usable. I know because I broke my stone on my grill, before I bought the grill oven.

Damon View attachment 639248View attachment 639249
I love the idea of those big woodfire outdoor ovens but they take hours to heat up, right?

GFRC Is glass fiber reinforced concrete. Won't shatter even if dropped although it may chip if you do that. Just have to make sure if you have one made that they don't add any chemicals to the mix to speed hardening. Some of them are pretty toxic.

Correct, that's why I only use it if we have a large group. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get it to the proper temp. It's great because it can cook a pizza in about 90 seconds if at the right temperature. I've had it up to 1000F according to my laser temperature meter, it would burn the hair off my arm in a split second when I would add or move the wood.

Damon
I love the idea of those big woodfire outdoor ovens but they take hours to heat up, right?

Alton brown says to use a 99 cent correy stone, in his pizza episode...can't say i've tried it...just thought i'd throw it out there....

Smaller ones are good to go within about 40mins, some of the small gas ones 20minutes. The bigger ovens are better in terms of heat balance and retention but you can still make great pizzas in the small ones

I saw on pizzamaking that unglazed quarry tiles have been recommended as pizza stones, you can just lay a few together and cut some up to make a good fit for your oven. Cheap too

After reading this thread I spent most of the work day yesterday researching outdoor pizza ovens.

I'd love to get one of those Pizza Party ovens, or even the roccbox. But even that is $600.

After reading this thread I spent most of the work day yesterday researching outdoor pizza ovens.

I'd love to get one of those Pizza Party ovens, or even the roccbox. But even that is $600.
You can build one for a couple hundred bucks, and its a fun project. I had a bunch of pictures of my build, but my phone took a dump and I lost most of them. I may have a few floating around I'll try to find some and post them.

These are the only pics I could find of the entire build. Moral to the story backup you phone before it takes a dump.

Damon

IMG1324433181552878758.jpg IMG5296619403453513230.jpg IMG3178649692558285865.jpg

There is a website that sales the foam template for pizza ovens. They are super slick and have different models plus pics of people who have made them. Want to say its brickoven.com or something like that.

Thanks damon. I wonder how that would do in the oven. There is a video of j Kenji from serious eats and he rates the ovens. There is a new Napoli gas and wood oven for 240 I am eyeing. Here are some others. J Kenji said rocbox was king. I want one. Wood and gas, well built and portable. I think the Napoli looks slick.

Blackstone
Unni
Pizza pronto
Rocbox
Napoli

I bought one from here over 10 years ago: https://bakingstone.com

It's a beast. 3/4" and about 20lbs.

Totally agree, I love mine, it's permanent home is on the bottom rack of my oven. Works great for bread too. You might need to be careful that nothing spills over on it, it's not a real fan of liquids but other than that, I highly recommend one.

Totally agree, I love mine, it's permanent home is on the bottom rack of my oven. Works great for bread too. You might need to be careful that nothing spills over on it, it's not a real fan of liquids but other than that, I highly recommend one.

I see they have one for the grill, comes with the heat shield. I’m guessing I could use it in the oven with out a heat shield? (Edit) how easily do they clean up?

As far as price... I’m looking for a 1 time purchase if possible.

I’m getting a craving for a fresh home made pizza too :(

how easily do they clean up?

On far too many too occasions I’ve had cheese get onto the stone. Usually it turns to carbon (and smoke). The biggest mess I ever made I had to use a metal spatula to coax the crud off but it didn’t take a lot of force. Typical clean up I just wipe it off with my hand. Sometimes it takes a finger nail or butter knife to scrape off extra crud but overall pretty easy.

@Redpappy - When I make a pizza, I lay the dough out on a piece of parchment paper on my peel and stretch add all my ingredients. I slide the parchment paper with the pie on it on top of the stone. After roughly 4 minutes, I open the oven lift the front edge of the pie up slightly with my peel and slide out the parchment paper and throw it out.

Two advantages of the parchment. 1) - no need for cornmeal as lube to let the pie slide off the peel, and 2) - keeps my baking stone really clean. When someone (not me, hint, hint, grumble, grumble) cooked something with out a liner tray underneath it, I did have a spill to clean. I find that just scrubbing it off with a dry scrubby sponge works pretty good to clean it. It's a great stone but you really don't want to get it wet.

Anything that lands on a searing hot 550゚ stone is going to smoke and I have found that's much worse than any clean up. I just scrape my steel with my peel.

What's the verdict on seasoning the stone? I didn't season either of my first two, but they seemed smoother than the new 16" one. The company does not recommend seasoning, just wiping with a damp cloth before first use. It's a "Lorenzetti" from Amazon.

What's the verdict on seasoning the stone? I didn't season either of my first two, but they seemed smoother than the new 16" one. The company does not recommend seasoning, just wiping with a damp cloth before first use. It's a "Lorenzetti" from Amazon.

You all can relax now. I didn't season it and the pie didn't stick.

Back