Pitching Yeast Too Late??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Firstly, I would just like to thank everyone for their vast knowledge, these boards have been an invaluable insight for my new way of life...errr hobby, yea thats it, hobby. :mug:

Now the situation, I tried to squeeze in a brew session earlier this afternoon before I had to go to work, unfortunately I wasn't able to cool the wort in enough time to the proper yeast pitching temperature before I left for work. I transfered the wort to my sanitized carboy and placed the stopper with airlock in an attempt to keep any infection from entering my brew. I am going to pitch the yeast tonight some 9 hours after the brew finished. I know I have to purchase a wort chiller, as this was the first full 5 gal boil that I attempted and didn't realize how long it would take to cool without one.

Any thoughts if pitching the yeast so long after the boil would be an issue? Would any off flavors be produced that the final beer will have to be a drain pour brew?

No worries! One of the new trends is "No Chill", where you do exactly what you did. The only real drawback I've read about is it may increase the IBU's, as the hops has more contact time with high temps.

Back