Pitching Yeast Too Hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killing the yeast which is a crime punishable by severe beating about the face and head with several floppy fish.

For me I cool it about 5 degrees below temp or about 60 F and then pitch the yeast

First batch brewed. Drank too many beers during process. Made critical error. Batch was about 120 degrees. So if all yeast was killed. What is the result?

First batch brewed. Drank too many beers during process. Made critical error. Batch was about 120 degrees. So if all yeast was killed. What is the result?

Get it cooled down as fast as you can. I do not know if 120 will kill the yeast but fermenting that hot will give you some really bizarre yeast characteristics.

Depending when the beer was made I would pitch new healthy yeast though

You've most likely killed the yeast, You could run into a couple issues here

1.) you've killed the yeast you wanted use, lidded your fermenter and added airlock at 120deg - the wort will cool and suck air (and liquid) through your airlock, potential for infestation.
2.) you've killed the yeast you wanted to use, cooled your wort down, lidded it and installed airlock, and nothing happens. no contamination (yet) but you'd better get some fresh yeast in there asap.
3.) somehow, some of the yeast cells, lets call them the Arnold Yeastanegger clan, however they are some kind of strange mutated version of the original strain and will not produce the same beer you intended.

even if some of your yeast survived, the potential for infection/wild yeast is high because not many of your original strain will have survived.

MORE YEAST! also, Relax, don't worry, have a home brew - it's going to be beer in the end regardless.

You will get lots of off flavors with pitching too high a temperature for yeast. Those flavors are likely to be solvent or paint thinner like, not good.

You will get lots of off flavors with pitching too high a temperature for yeast. Those flavors are likely to be solvent or paint thinner like, not good.

3rd batch I ever made I pitched my US-05 slurry a little too warm (probably around 90ish. I didn't get solvent flavors really, but I did get other off flavors not usually associated with US-05 (primarily clove) which BTW are not very good in an IPA. Let your fermenter cool to the touch before pitching (its even better to wait an hour or so for it to acclimate to room temp than pitch it warm.

Latest posts

Back