Pitching temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes_1696

Reaction score
So, when I was brewing yesterday an emergency popped up and thank goodness I was at the end of the boil getting ready to start cooling it when I got a call and had to hurry up, so instead of using the wort chiller with an ice bath, I dump the equivalent of two gallons of ice in my wort. And topped it off with cool water when I pitched the yeast the temp was around 65 to 67. I was wondering should I warm the beer up a little or if the yeast should be fine?

Your temperature should be fine. Different strains of yeast like different ranges, but you're in prime ale territory. I ferment most of my ales around 64.

If your brew days can be interrupted with emergency calls, look up no chill brewing. This technique may be safer than adding ice to the wort, unless you made your ice with sterile water in a sterile environment.

Adding ice directly to the wort is a bad idea. Probably better off putting it to the back of your stove with the lid on until you can tend to it.

I tried the no chill method a couple of time and had oxidation problems. Is there a way to produce sterile ice in an homebrew environment?

I used to top off with bottled water from the fridge. Not as cold as ice, but less prone to contamination. You could go as far as freezing a gallon jug, but that's not easy to work with.

Back