Pitching Roeselare in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
Following the Flanders Red recipe from Brewing Classic Styles. My primary is completed using 1056 and the gravity has finish4ed out at 1.012. I'll be racking into a secondary and pitching the 3763/Roeselare along with 1oz of French Oak cubes. I'm trying to target something close to Rodenbach Grand Cru. My questions:
1) Do I need to add some malto dextrine to bring up the complex fermentables for the 3768 to chew on? If so, what should I target?

2) If I do nothing about adding fermentables, will a SG of 1.012 bring on enough funk, sourness, and acidity in about 10-12 months?

I know these are subjective questions, but this is my 1st sour and I want to plan the pipeline with a few more this year. With a 12 month wait on the results, feedback with experience is really needed so I don’t waste lots of cash.

I did it similar and it finished around 1.014 when I pitched Roselare on it. Came out real nice but not very sour. Similar to Rodenbach maybe but if you like a stronger sourness you could add maltodextrin. Brett doesn't seem to need allot of gravity change to impart flavor while pedio needs more. If it doesn't come out as sour as you like you could add fruit.
I made mine into a 10gallon batch to have 5 gallons plain and two 2.5gallon batches, one cherry one raspberry.

I just listened to Jamil and the Flanders Red recording. In it he says the 1056 should take the beer down to around 1.020 so the Roeselare has something to eat. This provides more consistency. I'm going with this batch as is and will brew another batch with Roeselare in the primary. I'll check back in this thread in about 1 year. Cheers!

Back