Pitching on cake warning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolsom

Reaction score
I bottled 5 gallons of dunkel on Friday.
Saturday I scooped out about a third of the cake to harvest and poured my next batch of dunkel on the cake.
Four hours later had good airlock activity. I placed my fermenter in out basement that holds a steady 65°F. The next morning the temperature strip on the fermenter was at 75°F.
I quickly made a bath at 60°F and placed my fermenter inside to cool it down. (I also had to refill my airlock 3 times because of the activity).

If you repitch on a cake, make sure you control the temps.

Actually you should control your fermentation temperature EVERY time regardless on how your yeast was processed.

Another piece of advice: blow off tube!!

I haven't found the need to use a blow off tube with my fermentation bucket. Maybe I've just been lucky but I feel the shape of the fermenter has a bit to do with it.

I haven't found the need to use a blow off tube with my fermentation bucket. Maybe I've just been lucky but I feel the shape of the fermenter has a bit to do with it.

Using 6.5Gal bucket does not necessarily eliminate the need for a blow-off tube. A certain wheat beer episode taught me that.

Then why the need to change the airlock? Just lost the sanitizer? That has never happened for me.

When you do need a blow off it could be very messy. Read the threads about lids being blown off bucket fermenters.....

I was so proud of myself about trying the yeast harvesting, and repitching on cake I let the basics of temperature control slip.
I also thought that taking a third of the cake away might restrain some of the fermentation.
I have had fermentations that have needed blow off tubes, but never had a seen such an active ferment before. The air lock was continuously bubbling and at such a velocity that is was blowing the vodka out of the airlock.
I kept an eye on the krausen to ensure that it did not reach the plug.

I'm serious about a fermentation chamber now.

Back