Pitching on a yeast cake from a 1 gallon cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayInAmes

Reaction score
Just racked and bottled a 1 gallon batch of hard cider. The yeast cake from this is much much smaller than the one from a batch of beer. I know you can pitch onto a yeast cake from beer, but what about from cider?

Also, I'm looking at making a 5 gallon batch this time. Can I pitch the yeast cake from the 1 gallon batch into the 5 gallon batch? Lalvin Ec1118 is the yeast.

I also do it often, I just pour my new juice in kind of hard to get a little air and yeasties moving around.

I did pitch this on the yeast cake from a 1 gallon batch. Seems to be bubbling away happily. Thanks for the responses!

Also did a cranberry at the same time. I didn't save the cake from the 1 gallon batch, so I pitched a new package of Lalvin EC1118. Bubbles are the same rate as the apple, but this one really foamed up (can you call that a Krausen, since it's fruit juice?).

Back