Pitching from slurry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexanRudeboy

Reaction score
I've never pitched from slurry before so I was looking for some help. I'm bottling a 1.056 OG Belgian pale (extract with steeping grains) today, the yeast was Wyeast 3522 washed from the last time I did the same recipe. I'd like to pitch some of the slurry to an IPA I'm brewing tonight(also extract with grains). It's OG will be 1.065, 2.75 gallons going into the fermenter. MrMalty says I only need to pitch 61mL of slurry, which equals roughly 1/4 cup. Is this enough? It seems like a small amount, but it is as fresh as yeast gets.

Rack off as much beer as you can.
Sanitize a stainless spoon or something, and gently mix up the yeast a trub. You want everything at the bottom of the fermenter to be even and homogenous. Measure out your 60ml, and toss it in the new batch.

Personally, I'd plan for a little extra trub, and pitch about 75ml

scottland said:
Rack off as much beer as you can. Sanitize a stainless spoon or something, and gently mix up the yeast a trub. You want everything at the bottom of the fermenter to be even and homogenous. Measure out your 60ml, and toss it in the new batch. Personally, I'd plan for a little extra trub, and pitch about 75ml

Will do. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back