Pitching a Wheat on a S-04 Cake, yeah or neah?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well...you'd most certainly be overpitching so you probably would not get much yeast character in the wheat beer. Then again I'm not really sure if you are looking for too much yeast character in an American wheat vs a Bavarian hefeweizen.

I would suggest washing the yeast and using the suggested 100ml of slurry. This wouldn't be as easy of course, but it might turn out better in the long run. I'm also not a big fan of American Wheat beers though, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count.

Yep, read some of the other posts. Ooodles of outstanding info there.

Pitching on existing yeast is great. Few things you want to be aware of. Should go with same or darker colored beer. Lighter ones will be shifted by the trub. Also want to go same or higher in alchochol. For really low ETOH beers, not much of a problem. Big barely wine, those yeast will be VERY tired.

Don't leave your least alone for too long after racking the prior beer off. When I pitch on the cake, I usuallly rack off the yeast during the boil so my fermentor is ready to go once the chill is done.

Read the other stuff available, get yours going, then come back and tell us how it went.

Back