Pitched yeast late

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ritojr

Reaction score
So ive been brewing for about a year so going to throw this here. Brewed last friday. After 48 hours and no air lock activity I realized I never pitched the yeast (dont drink and brew). Went to the store, got some and pitched 72 hours after brew (no funky smell, no noticeable anything growing on top of the wart). Additional 48 hours goes by and still nothing. I rehydrate a pack this time and throw it in. Additional almost 72 hours goes by and im ready to take a reading and dump it when I finally see some super slow activity in the airlock. At this point im assuming it's just fermenting on wild whatever and not actually going to be drinkable but someone tell me why it may be fine

We'll need to know a little more about your process before we can give you any advice.

Did you take gravity readings? Are you fermenting in a bucket? What temp are you fermenting at? Is there any krausen or any visual indicator of fermentation/infection?

I'd bet everything is fine, and that it's just a sluggish fermentation. Let it ferment out and see what you get.

Several times I've let wort sit in the fermentation chamber as much as 36 hours before pitching without a problem. I do this when for whatever reason I can't get a lager down the pitching temp I want before it goes into the fermenter. I also think everything is probably fine. What was the gravity you pitched into? What did you do to aerate the wort?

Update. To answer the first post, I am fermenting in a plastic bucket and the temp is probably in the 62-64 range. No visible signs of infection and after opening up last night I did see some krausen.

So as of last night, I opened it up and took a reading and I am at 1.020 down from 1.054. A little lower abv than i was expecting but I also am not sure its finished yet or not. Again, no signs of infection or anything. I just worry as I have had it open about 4 times now between repitching and getting readings. I really want the next time to be the last time so probably going to let it sit for another day or two and get it out of there.

Your buckets lid probably doesn't seal properly so the airlock didn't bubble so much. Its a fairly common occurrence.

Is this an extract or all grain batch?

Perhaps, seemed to be pretty hard to pop off but something I will keep an eye on.

Still brewing extract, think this is my 6th one.

Looks like it will be fine. :) If its a common ale yeast you will probably get 1.010 - 1.014. Don't worry about opening the lid. I never do. I've even brewed with an open vessel many times with no problems. Another of those debunked dogmas. Its fine to keep it sealed has much has possible however. But its one of the finer points when you have everything nailed down.

Just wanted to comment out, it got down to 1.012 and so far seems to be fine (well at least from a fermentation stand point).

Good to know about opening as I probably have been a little too concerned with it. Thanks

Might be a good idea to let your beer warm to finish the fermentation if the temperature is still at 65°F. A few weeks in the primary fermentor will also let excess yeast and hop particles drop out.

Back