pitched yeast early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0420

Reaction score
Ok, so I was boiling up a batch of stout the other day and ended up seriously pressed for time at the end. I ended up pitching the yeast around 84 degrees because i didnt want it to sit. It doesnt seem to be fermenting at all. Is there anything I can do. It's my first stout and I really dont want to lose it if I can help it. Please help me

84 degrees is a bit warm but it won't kill yeast, that take above 140. There are two things that come to my mind. How long has it been since you pitched the yeast and how do you know it isn't fermenting. Sometimes it takes quite a few hours for activity to start. This is called the lag time. I often have a lag time of 30 to 36 hours. Sometimes I don't see anything that makes me think the beer is fermenting. Then I get out my hydrometer and take a sample and compare the reading with the OG. Then I know if it has fermented.

ive pitched yeast at 98 for an brown ale before. it took about 36 hrs to start seeing action into the airlock. if you see no action after 48hrs, thats when id start to look into repitching.

did you use a yeast starter, and what was your og?

Back