Pitched two packs of US-05, four days later...nothing. What is up with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chadwick

Reaction score
Pitched two packs of US-05 into 1.090 wort. Pitching temp was rather cool, 60F. After seeing no activity for two days I moved the wort into a warmer area. It has now been without any cooling in a 73F ambient room for two days and there still isn't any activity.

What is up with this? Is there a bad batch of US-05 that's gotten out?

the last batch I used us-05 on, I was surprised I didn't have a blow out (1.080 wort). It was roughly 5.5 gal in a 6 gal bucket. Fermented out fine, but never any airlock activity (i know this is no indication, I take readings). in the past I've needed blow off tubes due to high krauzen. I was surprised nothing happened (and relieved because I was too lazy to get my blow off tube setup on the lids at the end of a tripple 10 gal batch brew day).

Airlock activity (or lack thereof) is not a reliable indication of fermentation. Take a gravity reading.

At least once I have missed overnight activity and thought nothing happened. Can you see into the fermenter? If not, you may have missed it.

You may have a co2 leak at your air lock or, if using a plastic pale, the lid.

+1 Airlock activity is not a sure sign of fermentation.

+3 for a gravity reading.

+1 Was the yeast rehydrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How was the yeast stored?

Did you rehydrate the yeast?

Have you taken any hydrometer readings since pitching?

Quoting because of how crucial this information is for diagnosing the issue. Also, what are you fermenting in? A bucket, by any chance?

Hey folks. I pulled out a sample to check the gravity. I was more than a little surprised to see a thick krausen sitting on top. Gravity is sitting at 1.030 give or take a few points.

The seals, as far as I can tell, are all good on my fermentation bucket and the airlock is one of those S-types. It looks fine as well. I tasted my sample and it is the cleanest tasting sample I've ever had at full krausen.

I suppose I should have known better than to think it didn't take off at all.

Thanks for the replies everyone. This beer is going to be just fine.

:mug:

EDIT:
After giving it some more thought. I think I know what happened.

I allowed this wort to cool down way lower than I normally pitch at. My thermometer said it was 60F when I pitched (I normally pitch US-05 at about 70F) but I suspect the thermometer isn't accurate and it was actually cooler, maybe upper 50's. The yeast couldn't take right off in that cool of an environment. I noticed it was too cool a day later and then moved the vessel into an ambient low 70's room, but the floor it was sitting on was actually way cooler because it is next to a cooling vent. It warmed up very slowly and the yeast took off so slowly I didn't notice any activity. Sort of how a secondary part of a fermentation works, I don't see the airlock moving - but the gravity is magically dropping.

Anyhow, thanks again for the replies.

Well that is a big relief! After four days I would be stressing big time. Glad to hear all is well.

Back