Pitched Notty at 80F - what should I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyN

Reaction score
So I pitched some Nottingham yeast dry into wort that was 80-82 degrees last night. When I woke up this morning fermentation was in full swing. By the time I got home from work is was going nuts and the wort temp cooled to about 68 degrees.

Can I expect any nasty off flavors due to my high pitching temp?

I brewed a partial mash pale ale.

you may have some off flavors, but it really depends on how long it was at 80degF. If it drops pretty rapidly it may ahve gotten down before the real fermentation took off... But, you can just let it sit on the yeast cake a bit longer, maybe 1 week or more than usual and it will clean up after itself pretty well. I've done something similar too and had no off flavors myself. Its often better to just pitch the next morning, let the wort cool to room temps by the next morning and do it then. I've done that many times w/o problems, so long as you're really picky about sanitization it will be fine.

as long as the active fermentation wasn't that high, which it sounds like it wasn't, then you're fine. otherwise you might have some fusels

Whew! That's a load off guys. I know it was at least five hours before becoming active. Thanks for the replies. I will give it an extra week in the primary just to be sure.

I live in the south and often pitch at high temps (due to high tap water temps in my chiller), and my beer turns out fine. Get it into a cool place, and the fermentation should take place at a lower temperature.

I predict that you should be fine.

Hot damn. Less than 48 hours and the active fermentation really slowed down. Yeasties really ripped through it. I'll probably take my first gravity reading in a week or so, but I've never had such a fast aggressive fermentation.

I'm using Nottingham on a Barley Wine right now and I believe its slowing down after pitching it at 7:00 on Tuesday (less then 48 hours). I hope the gravity drops because the last I saw it the gravity was 1.051 (way to high) from 1.092

Wish I could help you there. I've never brewed a beer with that high of a gravity. Mine has an OG of about 1.045.

However, last time I used nottingham, (1 gallon all grain parter) the noticeably active fermentation lasted about three days, but I didn't hit my target gravity for a week or more. It was one of my best beers to date and I'm still kicking myself for doing such a small batch.

Back