Pitched Nottingham in the 50's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Friday night I brewed Yooper's Oatmeal Stout but had to use Nottingham because they were out of British Ale II. So my brandnew thermometer was 10 degrees or so off, in that range, and I cooled my wort down to about mid 50's degrees which is about what I pitched at. Later when I put it in the fermentation chamber and stuck the probe to it, I saw it was 10 degrees colder that I wanted it.

It took about 20 hours to start bubbling and is now fermenting very well after 2 days. I assume its going to be fine but was wondering if anyone else has pitched that low for this style beer and any fermentation issues.

David

I'd say if it's going now, you're likely okay. But I'm a little confused -- did you cool it into the 50s according to your thermometer (meaning an actual temp in the 40s), or did your thermometer read in the 60s (meaning an actual temp in the 50s)? Regardless, notty is a robust yeast and does decently at lower temps, so I imagine you've got nothing to worry about. And you can always warm it up a bit toward the end to encourage a few more points' worth of attenuation.

I did a split batch once, one with notty and one with 34/70. I pitched both at 55* and the 34/70 took off almost a day sooner than the notty. You'll be good.

Just pitched some Notty in my Two Hearted clone this am, and the temp in my swamp cooler was 62° ambient. I hope to see activity in 12-24 hours.

This must be the fastest yeast I have ever used. I haven't checked the gravity yet but after the highest krausen I have ever seen in my Speidel, its stopped bubbling after 2 and 1/2 days.

David

sorry, no matter how I rotate this image is still shows up like this on the site

IMG_5356.jpg

Back