Pitched a Saison a bit high - am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shattstar03

Reaction score
I pitched my 2L yeast starter in my carboy between 70-75 degrees, I had the air conditioner going, so thinking the temperature would drop, my power lands up going down while I'm at work and the temp rose to 82 within 6 hours.

When I came home, there was a lot of activity (krausen was pretty high). Does this mean my beer is ruined with fusels? I dropped the temperature to 68 (its been this low since) as soon as I saw the krausen but I'm assuming the damage is done.

I pitched WLP565 (Saison Yeast). I don't have a problem with the esters, I actually want to the fruity-spiciness to be in the beer. I just don't want rocket fuel as my beer. Anybody have any experience with this yeast? I'm hoping that this strain is a bit more resistant to warmer temperature than the others.

That Dupont strain can go all the way up to 90*F and not throw off fusels. You actually don't want to go backwards in temp with this yeast, as it really hates cooling off during fermentation (in my experience at least) and can get you stuck at the dreaded ~1.030. You did pitch a pretty big starter which is good, so hopefully the yeast was able to chew through most of the fermentables when the temp was rising. If you're just going off the White Labs site information on this strain, they're way off for the attenuation and optimum temps. I usually get around 90% attenuation and it happily ferments in the mid-80's.

If it does get stuck, I'd say go ahead and pitch some Wyeast 3711. It's a beast of a Saison yeast and will chew through just about everything save the fermenter.

I've had my best success with the Dupont yeasts by pitching around 68, then let it rise a few degrees per day to a final somewhere between 85-88.
This yeast can be a pita to get started again if it stalls.
I'd take a gravity reading to see where it's at, and if you have a few points to work with, start raising the temp back up toward the 80s (ramping if possible).

I'm 4 days since pitching and its still has a high krausen, would I see any ill-effects because of the high temp during the first 6 hours of pitching?

IIRC those saison strains produce more appropriate phenols and esters around higher temps? sounds like your great and it should be drying out quite well. mind posting the recipe?

IIRC those saison strains produce more appropriate phenols and esters around higher temps? sounds like your great and it should be drying out quite well. mind posting the recipe?

I used the 5 gallon morebeer Saison kit

9Lbs of Munich Extract LME
3LB DME
8oz Caramunic
1.5 Saaz bittering hops
.5 Saaz last 20 mins
.5 Saaz Aroma
.5 Tettnanger Aroma

I used 2 liter yeast starter made up of 2 vials of WLP565 and pitched between 70-75 and I found it 6 hours later at 82 fermenting away, I dropped the temp to 68 as soon as I saw it and its been fermenting in the low 60s for the last 4 days. I mean its still going bananas right now.

She's not necessary a "petite" a batch, she's a pretty big girl. :D

You are good.

My suggestion would be to let it warm up now, even to the mid 80s. The yeast likes that. 68 is way too cool for that yeast!

given the yeast strain, you may have pitched and fermented perfectly...saisons love the warmer temps

Latest posts

Back