Pitched a batch onto cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTR08

Reaction score
Hey all :mug:

So, I had a small half gallon batch of cider I got going about a week or so ago with some White Labs Irish Ale yeast. I intended to make a larger batch, but I could not find the same high quality preservative free apple cider, so I only did a half-gallon. Then, I did some roasting of malts to get some crystal malt, some to a golden toast, some to an amber toast, and some I roasted stovetop to get a smokey nuttiness, we'll see how it comes out.

I brewed a small batch of this, after boil it was under two gallons- did BIAB, seemed better for a small batch than busting out the cooler...
Anyway, then I cooled it, had kind of a inconsistent crush resulting in a high amount of "powder" but I hope it'll be okay.

Fermentation is going on now, getting a small krausen forming. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever done this sort of thing-- pitching a batch of wort onto an already fermenting cider?

I'll keep you all posted on the results-- tried a sample last night after I racked the wort into the carboy, and mmmmm! :fro: Tasted great. And again, lovely ferment smell going on. We'll see :rockin:

Recipe-

Fermenting cider 'starter' - half gallon w/ Irish Ale yeast
Two-row 3 lbs
Golden Malt- 6 oz
Amber Malt- 6 oz
Crystal Malt- 5 oz
'Nutty malt'- 3 oz

Hops-
Simcoe, about 1/5 oz 60 min
Amarillo, about 1/3 oz 60 min.

Came out a nice amber color before racking.

Hello- update on this batch. Just bottled today.
Had a little 4 oz sample left over...

Gotta say... damn. Taste is really great so far. There is a bit of an apple-ie-ness to it, not much in the hop department, but it was very smooth, and had a very desirable dryness to it as well. I am very satisfied with it so far, we'll see how it turns out once it is bottle conditioned.

My hopes are high! Based on the preliminary tasting, I would highly recommend this! Cheers.

Back