Pitch Amount Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
Will be brewing a Belgian PA Saturday morning. Gonna get my starter going this afternoon. According to the online calculators, I need 73 billion cells for a 2 gallon batch. .393L is the pitch amt. The mason jars I have do not have the measurements on the side.
Would it be safe to use 1 oz=30 billion cells? if so that translates to roughly 2.5 oz.
What confuses me is if I convert .393L to ounces that comes to 13.3 oz. 13 oz seems way too much where the 2.5 oz seems right.

Which is correct?

Why do you feel you need a starter? Just pitch a vial or smack pack.

Cause I want to harvest some for a future batch. It's WLP515 and it's not easy to get here.

Understood.

I would do a 1L starter. Your choice on method (Stirplate, Shaken). That should net you ~200x10^9 cells.

Will be brewing a Belgian PA Saturday morning. Gonna get my starter going this afternoon. According to the online calculators, I need 73 billion cells for a 2 gallon batch. .393L is the pitch amt. The mason jars I have do not have the measurements on the side.
Would it be safe to use 1 oz=30 billion cells? if so that translates to roughly 2.5 oz.
What confuses me is if I convert .393L to ounces that comes to 13.3 oz. 13 oz seems way too much where the 2.5 oz seems right.

Which is correct?

You mention needing 73bn cells to ferment your beer but what amount of yeast are you planning to add to your starter? Is this yeast going to be taken from a fresh vial of yeast, or yeast harvested from a prior batch?

..............The mason jars I have do not have the measurements on the side............

To add, I'd go ahead and fix that so you don't have that problem on your next batch. I used a sharpie and marked lines at every 100mL on some Snapple bottles I use.

I know you're wanting to make an oversized starter to save some yeast, but you could also use hop bags to keep the trub down to a mimimum to allow you to harvest a cleaner yeast cake too.

Latest posts

Back