Lager Fermentation questions: seems slow - Reused slurry from last batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
I brewed 27 gal of a German Pils on Saturday, split into (2) half barrel keg fermenters with an OG of 1.047. In each fermenter, approximately 13 gallons of wort, I pitched the saved slurry from my last batch - one 34/70 and the other S23. I had damn near a full quart mason jar of each slurry (3/4 was a thick slurry with a 1/4 beer on top) into each fermenter, which I collected when I kegged the previous batch (Vienna Lager - slightly higher OG 1.052ish). The slurry was stored in my fridge for about 2-2.5 weeks. I pulled the slurry out and warmed up to fermentation temp of 54 F before pitching.

Fermentation seems like it is slow. On the first batch, I had slow blowoff tube activity in 24 hrs. This batch I have had virtually none after 2 days. You could get some bubbles out of the tube if you picked the tube up a little, but no active bubbling. There was the normal, expected yeasty smell in the temp controlled fridge that I ferment in on day 2. Last night, 2 days after pitching, I disconnected the tri clover blow off connection and looked into the fermenter. Their was a definite krausen on the top of each.

This morning, 2.5 days after pitching, I decided to pull a sample and take a gravity reading. The gravity had gone from 1.047 to 1.038 for the 34/70 and from 1.047 to 1.035 for the S23. I expect the final gravity to be around 1.010, so the 34/70 is about 24% complete and the S23 is about 32% complete

Does this seem slow to any of you lager brewers?? If so, I am considering driving over to the LHBS and buying a couple extra packs of each yeast and re-hydrating and pitching it tonight after work.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Have you have success repitching that amount of slurry before? Based on my experience it feels like an underpitch. I typically will pitch a 16 oz jar of slurry into a 5.5 gal batch ale...scaling that up to 13 gals and doubling the pitch rate for a cool fermented lager would be more than 32 oz. It would depend a lot on how much yeast vs trub is in the harvested yeast. I have only brewed a few lagers myself, but a 2 day lag times it not too unusual.

Since you are through the lag phase and the beer is fermenting, I would not add more yeast myself. It might be a good idea to check on the batch once or twice over the next week to make sure it seems to be progressing.

I seem to have similar lag phase times with my lagers. 48 hours is not abnormal for a cooler pitched lager yeast IMHO.

Back