pistachio pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polishprince1260

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wanted to get some feedback on a pistachio pale ale I am making. I am using 1 oz of pistachio oil in a 5 gal all grain batch. I am going to use 2 row pale or maris otter for my base, specialty probably some victory and briess 40L crystal. My question would be what hops to use and yeast. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Polishprince

Just curious, what does pistachio oil add to the beer?

As far as hops and yeast, that would depend on the style you are attempting to create.

I don't have any experience using pistachios in beer...or any other nuts. I'm a huge fan of pecans and pistachios though....I'm very interested to hear how this turns out.

fwiw, byo has a pistachio pale ale recipe - but it's based on roasted whole shelled nuts...

Pistachio Pale Ale
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.052 FG = 1.011
IBU = 46 SRM = 6 ABV = 5.3%

Ingredients
5.0 lbs. (2.3 kg) 2-row pale malt
4.25 lbs. (1.9 kg) British pale ale malt
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) flaked oats
0.5 lbs. (0.23 kg) crystal malt (10 °L)
0.25 lbs. (0.11 kg) crystal malt (40 °L)
10 AAU Palisades hops (60 mins)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 10% alpha acids)
5 AAU Palisades hops (15 mins)
(0.5 oz./14 g of 10% alpha acids)
5 AAU Palisades hops (5 mins)
(0.5 oz./14 g of 10% alpha acids)
1 tsp. Irish moss (15 mins)
24 oz. (680 g) roasted pistachios
Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast

Polishprince,

I read your post this morning and I'll be honest - I thought who the heck would put pistachios in beer? Then I went to Monkish Brewery (a SoCal brewery specializing in Belgian inspired beers). They had a pistachio and vanilla beer on tap. I didn't want to order it but your post made me do it. There was a hint of pistachio (just barely) but the vanilla overwhelmed it. So, now I can say that I've had a beer brewed with pistachios. Good luck with yours!

Hi all,

Wanted to get some feedback on a pistachio pale ale I am making. I am using 1 oz of pistachio oil in a 5 gal all grain batch. I am going to use 2 row pale or maris otter for my base, specialty probably some victory and briess 40L crystal. My question would be what hops to use and yeast. any suggestions?

Thanks,
Polishprince

Thanks for input guys. The store I bought oil from did not have the extract but they were checking their supplier to see if it was available. I am thinking 8oz would be fine. If I go with the oil maybe I can use the recipe posted and the flaked oats will offset the oil use. I don't think I have Palisade hops locally have to get them online.

Back