Pirate Stout.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a awesome idea, I will definitely try this and I'm sorry to hear that it didnt turn out as good as you were hoping, hope its drinkable.. beer shouldnt be wasted, there are sober kids in africa

The beer is very drinkable, as long as I don't think about all of the effort I put into it just to get a run-of-the-mill dry stout. I'm already planning Part Doo...

This recipe looks great. As for more coconut flavor I would do what Maui Brewing Co. does with their award winning Coconut Porter and use coconut at almost every stage of the process. The owner talks about it on the Basic Brewing Radio Podcast, 11-15-07.

They use coconut in the mash, the boil (now they use a hop back) and even serving tank. The only place they don’t use it is in the fermenter. They toast the coconut to a “deep golden brown”, which helps in head retention and flavor and “adds nuttiness”. They use non-sweetened coconut flakes.

They use 200 lbs coconut in each 20 barrel batch. I have no idea what that translates to for a 5 gal batch??

I am REALLY curious as to how the rum worked out in this recipe. Does rum go well in a stout? What types of rums and what quantities have people used?

I'm going to brew something close to this soon. Planning buying shredded coconut, baking it, and then shredding it to bits in a food processor (all pieces soaked in star san prior) right before use.

Anyone have any sanitization issues with coconut? I assume toasting it in the over should take care of everything, no?

Label lookes great. My only critique is that the Kings Khahuna part is kinda crunched in. Its a little hard to read. Feel like i need to squint my eyes to read it.

other than that, it's a sweet design

I have an idea on my own Pirate ale named Black Beards Booty made with my roommates dads homemade rum hope it turns out good :rockin:

Those are whaling ships, not pirate ships. The smoke is from the whalers cooking off the fat. The guys in the small boat are actually the whalers out for a Nantucket Sleigh Ride (spear the leviathan and hang on!).

Sorry to be a stickler, especially if someone else already pointed it out. I do like the label, though.

Back