Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about getting myself a pipe. I see the Missouri Meerschaums were recommend for a starter pipe. What is a good tobacco to start with?

Thinking about getting myself a pipe. I see the Missouri Meerschaums were recommend for a starter pipe. What is a good tobacco to start with?

pipe tobacco is a lot like beer: everyone has their own personal taste. I like pretty much anything. a good aromatic to start with (all IMO) would be Lane's 1-Q. my all day tobaccos have been Prince Albert and Chatham Manor. Briar Fox is a nice Virginia crumble cake. fairly mild smoke with a slightly stronger and nice room note. most anything I've had with Lakatia has been from "mild campfire" to intense if that's your sort of thing. check out http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ and search through the top selling tobaccos.

pipe tobacco is a lot like beer: everyone has their own personal taste. I like pretty much anything. a good aromatic to start with (all IMO) would be Lane's 1-Q. my all day tobaccos have been Prince Albert and Chatham Manor. Briar Fox is a nice Virginia crumble cake. fairly mild smoke with a slightly stronger and nice room note. most anything I've had with Lakatia has been from "mild campfire" to intense if that's your sort of thing. check out http://www.pipesandcigars.com/ and search through the top selling tobaccos.

Was smoking a bowl of lane 1Q tonight and it occured to me,

toasted marshmallow.

Very light of course, but that is what comes to mind.

Was smoking a bowl of lane 1Q tonight and it occured to me,

toasted marshmallow.

Very light of course, but that is what comes to mind.

I roll cigars and have a particular blend that has a very distinct cocoa/toasted marshmallow flavor. No toppings/casing, I only prepare my leaf to working condition with distilled water. I guess next time I place an order I best get some of the 1Q because that sounds damn good. Can't believe I have been piping this long and still haven't tried that.

Had a pipe of the Seville blend when I got home from work last night and am starting to enjoy it more and more. Then later in the evening, I had a small pack of the Aged Whiskey blend again. I might just throw that out. I really don't like it. Nothing about it is pleasant or relaxing. Going to hit the shop tomorrow after work before my weekly beer run and pick up the Tsuge Gunjin... I think that is what BK suggested. I doubt they have it there, but if they've got the Lane 1Q or something I hear you guys mention a lot, I'll get one of those as well.

Had a pipe of the Seville blend when I got home from work last night and am starting to enjoy it more and more. Then later in the evening, I had a small pack of the Aged Whiskey blend again. I might just throw that out. I really don't like it. Nothing about it is pleasant or relaxing. Going to hit the shop tomorrow after work before my weekly beer run and pick up the Tsuge Gunjin... I think that is what BK suggested. I doubt they have it there, but if they've got the Lane 1Q or something I hear you guys mention a lot, I'll get one of those as well.

Don't throw it out. Keep it and let it age. A year from now you might pick it up again, try it, and find it's delightful. Or, blend it with the little bits you'll have left over from other samples. Over time it grows into more than you'd expect.

Don't throw it out. Keep it and let it age. A year from now you might pick it up again, try it, and find it's delightful. Or, blend it with the little bits you'll have left over from other samples. Over time it grows into more than you'd expect.

I had an English blend that I found to be a bit harsh, I just mixed it with some black Cavendish and it smoothed it out really well.

I just really hate it. Wish I could describe why I don't like it, so maybe someone could help me figure out a reason for it. The best I could say is that it almost tastes bitter or chemical-ly. It's just harsh. I'll throw what's left in the empty tin I have and hang on to it for a while.

I just really hate it. Wish I could describe why I don't like it, so maybe someone could help me figure out a reason for it. The best I could say is that it almost tastes bitter or chemical-ly. It's just harsh. I'll throw what's left in the empty tin I have and hang on to it for a while.

Most likely the casing. Some of the casings do that.

I just got my order in the mail today, and now I cant wait to get home from work. Picked up a Dr. Grabow full bent briar pipe and a tin of Lane 1-Q. This new pipe is a MASSIVE improvement over the Missouri Meerschaum hardwood I have been smoking, and I have not even used it yet... I just might break open one of my 2012 Surly Darkness bombers and have a relaxing bowl when I get home. :rockin:

I had a little bit of Fusilier's Ration from one of my MM's earlier. if you're a fan of Lakatia, give it a try. it's not overbearing in any way, but you know it's there. it has a great smokey flavor and aroma and burns fairly cool. it's a dense crumble cake, but real easy to come apart.

I picked up a 3.5oz tin of Mac Barren's 7 Seas Red from March 2013 when I was in Rapid City. very nice cherry blend that didn't taste like chapstick.

Nice thread. Funny I stumbled on it. Been tossing around the idea of getting into pipe smoking. Not a lost art, soon all the hipsters will catch on I bet.

Nice thread. Funny I stumbled on it. Been tossing around the idea of getting into pipe smoking. Not a lost art, soon all the hipsters will catch on I bet.

It's a very enjoyable hobby. Honestly I hope hipsters pick it up lol that would mean more local pipe tobacco shops. Hipsters can be annoying but they definitely have a habit of breathing new life into things like this.

It's a very enjoyable hobby. Honestly I hope hipsters pick it up lol that would mean more local pipe tobacco shops. Hipsters can be annoying but they definitely have a habit of breathing new life into things like this.

lol that's a good call. I make that statement in light of my own hipster tendencies. my hipsterness. we all got a lil hipster in us lol.

lol that's a good call. I make that statement in light of my own hipster tendencies. my hipsterness. we all got a lil hipster in us lol.

Lol if you brew beer you're slightly hipster xP just don't go full hipster. There's no cure for that yet.

Ran up to Branson and picked up some baccy. I was gonna shop for a new pipe but they were sold out. Hmm.

Had a bowl of Lane 1Q in my trusty Grabow at the shop.

IMG_20160305_125843.jpg

IMG_20160305_111608.jpg

Ran my friend up to the rez last week, checked out their cigar/pipe shop not expecting much.. they had baggies of pipe tobacco, a house blend named Black Kathy discounted to $1.50 per bag. Good or bad, I had to get a couple. It is pitch black, very fine and dense. It smells nice, haven't tried it yet though. It's definitely going in the corn cob.

Also picked up a tin of Petersons Irish Oak. Haven't had either. Look forward to it.

5 oz will last me a couple weeks usually, maybe longer depending on my mood. I haven't been smoking much lately due to money plus I just haven't been feeling great so that would last me awhile

We've got a newage shop not too far away that carry some hand-made pipes a local fellow crafts. Funky, really long, wizardy looking pipes. Kinda like Gandolf's. He actually takes the time to burn all the way down the stem with a hot wire/rod.

So, just starting out I just made these purchases:

Pipe:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/product/70787/

Tobacco:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/product/85456/

My question is... should I buy a better pipe first? Lol. I also purchased a tool and some cleaners. If anyone can recommend a reasonable priced pipe that will last me quite some time, that would be great!

That pipe should be just fine to start out with. 8oz of any single tobacco is a pretty large comittment if you haven't tried it yet. I personally suggest buying 1oz samples of a bunch of different things to find what you like. It may cost a bit more, but it is worth it in the long run. The most important rule is to like what you smoke and smoke what you like.

Back