Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered myself some Christmas presents on cyber Monday, and they arrived today.
I'm breaking in the new cob with some 4th Generation 1897...

IMG-20131210-00567 (2).jpg

IMG-20131210-00568.jpg

Thanks Dan! I'm really enjoying how this cob is smoking. Can't beat the fact that it was only a $3 pipe. The 4th Generation is very tasty in it.

Cheers brother!

You can't beat a pipe for making you stop, take some time out of your busy day, reflect and relax. Despite the obvious negative health aspects, smoking a pipe must be good for your mental health. I only get mine out on special occasions now though.

jump_xiii said:
You can't beat a pipe for making you stop, take some time out of your busy day, reflect and relax. Despite the obvious negative health aspects, smoking a pipe must be good for your mental health. I only get mine out on special occasions now though.

I agree with you completely. Smoking a pipe is not similar to smoking a cigarette. A pipe takes patience and care. Somebody wrote about pipe vs cigar vs cigarette smoking. Pretty sure I posted that here but it is worth posting again. I just have to look it up.

I couldn't find the poem I was looking for but did find this.

A glass is good, and a lass is good,
And a pipe to smoke in cold weather;
The world is good, and the people are good,
And we're all good fellows together.

Meh?

I couldn't find the poem I was looking for but did find this.

A glass is good, and a lass is good,
And a pipe to smoke in cold weather;
The world is good, and the people are good,
And we're all good fellows together.

Meh?

I like it!

I remember you posting the other poem as well, but I don't remember how it went.

Dan, you inspired me to look up poems about pipe smoking. I ran across this, and I really liked it..

"I Smoke My Pipe"

I can't extend to every friend
In need a helping hand--
No matter though I wish it so,
'Tis not as Fortune planned;
But haply may I fancy they
Are men of different stripe
Than others think who hint and wink,--
And so--I smoke my pipe!

A golden coal to crown the bowl--
My pipe and I alone,--
I sit and muse with idler views
Perchance than I should own:--
It might be worse to own the purse
Whose glutted bowels gripe
In little qualms of stinted alms;
And so I smoke my pipe.

And if inclined to moor my mind
And cast the anchor Hope,
A puff of breath will put to death
The morbid misanthrope
That lurks inside--as errors hide
In standing forms of type
To mar at birth some line of worth;
And so I smoke my pipe.

The subtle stings misfortune flings
Can give me little pain
When my narcotic spell has wrought
This quiet in my brain:
When I can waste the past in taste
So luscious and so ripe
That like an elf I hug myself;
And so I smoke my pipe.

And wrapped in shrouds of drifting clouds,
I watch the phantom's flight,
Till alien eyes from Paradise
Smile on me as I write:
And I forgive the wrongs that live,
As lightly as I wipe
Away the tear that rises here;
And so I smoke my pipe.

James Whitcomb Riley

Not much action here lately. I took a break from cigars the last two days to enjoy a pipe and it's been a nice change of pace. There is a much different approach between the two. I notice with cigars I am always looking forward to the next change of flavor transition really paying attention to subtle nuances. With a pipe I pick up my favorite blend, pack, strike a match and then sit back and think. The occasional tamp and it's pure relaxation. Good times.
SPC Mississippi River with my favorite Poker pipe.

image-295684633.jpg

ThAt looks very festive Mike! Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Merry Christmas to all and happy smoking.

Anybody have any hints on making their own pipe??? I picked up a block of red oak and am going to use the stem from an old cracked pipe.

Anybody have any hints on making their own pipe??? I picked up a block of red oak and am going to use the stem from an old cracked pipe.

Sorry, I don't have any hints on pipe making but there is a post on this thread somewhere, maybe near the middle, where a fellow did show his pipe making and he included pics. I'd find it for you but am on a phone and some of the search options don't work so well. It is here somewhere though.

I can't light up a cigar because the house is closed off due to the cold, but I can have a nice pipe. It doesn't over take the house with the smell, and I get to smoke inside. Loves me some pipe tobacco on a cold winters night.

Mikescooling, tried to quote your post, not working on the phone for this moment

I grew up in central Illinois. My dad smoked a pipe. He always smoked indoors and the smoke was never overwhelming. Now when my beautician aunt came over and chain smoked cigarettes, that is a different story.

Cheers man. A humble pipe smoke in a somewhat ventilated house is just fine. In my opinion. I'm nearly 50. (Can't say that much longer) and a little, a little pipe smoke in a decently vented house (fireplace opened flu or a few windows cracked for cross draft) is the least of my worries long term. I grew up with no allergies or breathing problems even if by today's rules my da smoked abpipe inside a house. Got to admit he was not a big billowing cloud smoker. Moderation and good sense goes a long way.

I don't smoke cigs anymore unless I'm out on exercise. But I've been very keen on either getting an e-cig or even a pipe.

How would it compare cost wise to rolling your own cigarettes, do you use roughly the same amount of tobacco per "session"? If it's fairly economical I might have to look into this.

I think pipe smoking uses the least amount of tobacco, and is cheapest by far. I know many smokers burn their bowl in different ways. But for me their is an art in lighting it, then holding the burning ember, by sipping long slow endless draws. Keeping the burn cool is harder than most think.

I too, smoke my pipe indoors, but I can't do that with a cigar.

After a year and a half of smoking a pipe I still haven't been able to manage keeping a bowl lit all the way through without relighting it a couple times. And that's actually fine with me, as it is. Sometimes I actually let it burn out and then set it down for an hour or two. Then I'll pick it up and relight it later. Sometimes it takes all day to finish one bowl, and other times I might finish one in an hour or so.

I'm the same way Mike. I've even left tobacco in the bowl for long periods of time and the smoke is still good. I'm pretty sure that is not recommended but I do it. There is definitely a skill developed with pipe smoking. I think patience is key. I love a good cigar and a beer, the two just seem to go hand in hand!
:pipe:

I'm glad I'm not the only one Dan. I've nursed a bowl for as long as 3 days before, but that's about as long as I've gone.

I agree that cigars and pipes pair really nicely with beer. I especially like very malty, high ABV beers with them. I don't care so much for IPA's with them, though.

Mike, looks like you have the makings for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. BTW. How long you plan on letting the kraut ferment? And is it just sea salt and cabbage? That it?
Cheers my friend!

Bad Deacon, that is pretty dang neat!:)

Mike, looks like you have the makings for a pleasant Sunday afternoon. BTW. How long you plan on letting the kraut ferment? And is it just sea salt and cabbage? That it?
Cheers my friend!

Bad Deacon, that is pretty dang neat!:)

Thanks Dan. It was indeed a very relaxed afternoon. As of late I have decided that I really enjoy my pipe with coffee much more than I do with beer.

The recipe for the kraut says to taste it every week, but from what I've been told it will likely be 3-4 weeks before it comes into its own. It was indeed just cabbage and kosher salt. It really couldn't be easier. I can't believe I haven't tried making it before now..

Cheers brother! I hope you're having a nice Sunday evening!

Yep, I am thanks. Pretty pleasant here. I'm at my daughter's apartment for the weekend. Amazingly beautiful weather. I know that can't be said in all parts of the USA today so I'm pretty fortunate and very grateful.

I always talk about my daughters and it might get confusing. I have three.

My youngest is Meagan, she lives and goes to school up here in Monterey CA

My oldest, the girl who just had a baby, lives in Missouri and visited us for a few weeks. Her name is Chloe

My stepdaughter, Kim, is the oldest of the girls. She is 26 and lives and works in Hawaii.. her birth place.

I have a son, Danny, he's a Marine, and he's a really good guy. I guess I'm pretty proud that he is a Marine because I always bring that up. You know, it's a real good feeling to have when your son becomes a good man..and in many ways is better than their dad. He's got his act together a heck of lot better than I did at his age..

I don't know why I have recently given up family names and stuff.. Part of the internet is anonymity. But this aint facebook and the audience is somewhat limited.. I don't know. If I can't share a few details about me here then I better start living with a tin-foil hat on my head..
Cheers my brother! :mug::mug::mug::mug:

Yep, I am thanks. Pretty pleasant here. I'm at my daughter's apartment for the weekend. Amazingly beautiful weather. I know that can't be said in all parts of the USA today so I'm pretty fortunate and very grateful.

I always talk about my daughters and it might get confusing. I have three.

My youngest is Meagan, she lives and goes to school up here in Monterey CA

My oldest, the girl who just had a baby, lives in Missouri and visited us for a few weeks. Her name is Chloe

My stepdaughter, Kim, is the oldest of the girls. She is 26 and lives and works in Hawaii.. her birth place.

I have a son, Danny, he's a Marine, and he's a really good guy. I guess I'm pretty proud that he is a Marine because I always bring that up. You know, it's a real good feeling to have when your son becomes a good man..and in many ways is better than their dad. He's got his act together a heck of lot better than I did at his age..

I don't know why I have recently given up family names and stuff.. Part of the internet is anonymity. But this aint facebook and the audience is somewhat limited.. I don't know. If I can't share a few details about me here then I better start living with a tin-foil hat on my head..
Cheers my brother! :mug::mug::mug::mug:

Thanks for sharing Dan. You have every reason to be very proud of your kids. After all, we spend a large part of our adult lives trying to help mold them into good, productive people. Hell, that's pretty much all a parent lives for in many cases. There's no doubt in my mind that you did a damn good job of that my friend!

I'm glad you're enjoying your Sunday, and more importantly I'm glad that you're getting to spend it with one of your daughters.

I'm missing my daughter at the moment. She is in a town a few hours away with her fiancé. She'll be back in a couple weeks when the new semester at school starts. For now it's just me and the pup.

Thanks Mike. They do grow up quickly. Seems like when they're in diapers we can't wait till they are out of them.. Then all the sudden life gets really busy and they grow up and ya go... What? Where did those years go?

Next step in our lives.. Being a Grandpa!

Cheers my good friend, Mike!

I really love Rye whiskey. I couldn't afford the good stuff, but this JB is still pretty good.

The tobacco is good, but the tin dried out. I'm going to try and re-hydrate it.

Where are all the pipe smokers????

IMG-20140108-00659 (2).jpg

I'm right here with ya brother. I'm smoking an aromatic out of a Meerschaum cob I picked up from a shop on an out of town trip. It smells fantastic. The taste is a bit syrupy and heavy on the palate. I can't make out what he wrote on the side of the bag but it smells good enough to smoke in the house. Couple passes through the halls and rooms and smells great.

I really love the smell of a good aromatic in the house. Cheers EHV! Cool smokes my friend!

Stauffbier said:
I really love the smell of a good aromatic in the house. Cheers EHV! Cool smokes my friend!

I'm not familiar with a lot of aromatics but this is what the fella pulled out for me. Any ideas what that says?

image-667121598.jpg

This thread led me down a slippery slope. I joined a pipe forum, acquired a ton of pipes and a tobacco, and learning how to restore old pipes. Thanks!

You just made my day.

Pipes, numerous types of pipe tobacco, big furry pipe cleaners, and pipe stands and a whole lot more... Very happy you enjoy this thread topic. :pipe:

(I'm bragging and I know it but I sent the big pipe smoke emogis to TxBrewer, don't you know it)

I'm not familiar with a lot of aromatics but this is what the fella pulled out for me. Any ideas what that says?

View attachment 171047

No idea what it says. Probably though the mix is some Black Cavendish (I have no idea what type of tobacco Cavendish is.. just dark and sweet) and Burley. Do you smell a vanilla lacing?

You just made my day.

Pipes, numerous types of pipe tobacco, big furry pipe cleaners, and pipe stands and a whole lot more... Very happy you enjoy this thread topic. :pipe:

(I'm bragging and I know it but I sent the big pipe smoke emogis to TxBrewer, don't you know it)

Awesome, I love some of the emojis on the pipe forum. I started with pipes about 7 years ago but soon switched to cigarettes with an occasional bowl. I quit cigarettes about a year ago and came full circle back to the pipes that I loved so much, and it was literally after reading through this thread about 4 months ago.

View attachment 171047

Looks like it says Alsatian to me (a region in Germany I think.) Its likely either a house blend from the shop you got it from or a renamed bulk blend. Looks like what dan said.

Definitely vanilla in there. A lot of it. I'm going to have to do a google search and see if I can track down the name of the place.
My wife and I went on a small road trip to the "big city" to go out to dinner, beers, and hit the mall etc. We were driving down the road and I caught a sign that had a big pipe on it, so we did a U'ey and stopped in. It was a tiny little place but as soon as I opened the door the smell of this tobacco hit me right in the face. I asked the owner if he had whatever the place smells like and that I want a couple ounces if so. He hooked me right up and mentioned it was his best seller. Great aromatic that I can't figure out the name of lol.

Latest posts

Back