Pioneer Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
Has anyone used Pioneer Hops before?

I thinking that because it says they are dual purpose hops that I can make an extract batch with 4-5 equal hop additions of the single variety to really see what they are like.

I just don't want to end up with 5 gallons of crap beer... :eek:

So anybody got any experience with this relativly new hop variety?

Whoa. Weird. Never seen 'em. I'd like to get my hands on a Rhizome though! 8ft sounds like a perfect plant for my back yard!

I've used them for bittering a bitter. That went perfectly fine, but I can't comment on the flavour/aroma, since I used EKGs for that. They smell good, though, and a bit stronger than the EKGs. I wouldn't be nervous about using them if you like English hops. Perhaps I should brew a small SMaSH batch with them this weekend.

I've brewed an IPA now with Pioneer hops in identical additions for all of bittering/flavour/aroma, and I have to say it's a very good hop. Pleasantly citrusy, but not like the American C-hops. Milder, less aggressive, with a pleasantly sweet lower note. Perhaps the aroma is a bit subdued compared to the flavour, so you may want to up the latest addition (or perhaps dry hop) for better balance, but overall very pleasant.

Back