Pint is a legal measure and not subjective.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nostrildamus said:
The waitress and bartender where the ones responsible for the writing on the chalkboard and then they took to defensive arguing saying there was nothing wrong with serving .038 litres when a pint was ordered and advertised. I hold them directly accountable for their actions and their tip reflects their unwillingness to do anything about the situation. The tip is a reflection of their performance and has nothing to do with the management. There was no manager there as I asked for him/her. We arrived to an empty restaurant fifteen minutes after opening and there was no imposition of time placed on the server nor on the bartender to provide a sufficient explanation. They instead told me that they had done nothing wrong and that a pint could be a subjective term. Not until I pressed the point a second time did they change the chalkboard advertisment.

I would have had no problem whatsoever with the situation had the server stated that it was an oversight and they should change it to glasses rather pints.

:rolleyes:

Good lord - you must be a joy to live with.

Nostrildamus said:
The waitress and bartender where the ones responsible for the writing on the chalkboard and then they took to defensive arguing saying there was nothing wrong with serving .038 litres when a pint was ordered and advertised. I hold them directly accountable for their actions and their tip reflects their unwillingness to do anything about the situation. The tip is a reflection of their performance and has nothing to do with the management. There was no manager there as I asked for him/her. We arrived to an empty restaurant fifteen minutes after opening and there was no imposition of time placed on the server nor on the bartender to provide a sufficient explanation. They instead told me that they had done nothing wrong and that a pint could be a subjective term. Not until I pressed the point a second time did they change the chalkboard advertisment.

I would have had no problem whatsoever with the situation had the server stated that it was an oversight and they should change it to glasses rather pints.

OK, fine, you're right.

I genuinely hope for your sake that this is some kind of foible/unusual/pet peeve reaction thing for you over this particular issue, because if you normally handle small slights in life with such beligerance than you must truly be a very unhappy person.

I've typed this here many, many times, but have never more honestly and earnestly meant it: RDWHAHB (please).

Lol guys let up, there are easier ways to get threads locked :D

Fwiw, I mentioned I wouldn't have probably used the same approach when dealing with the staff. I probably would have gone to the owner and told him how I felt. Now if the wait staff gave me the glass with the line and poured it half full....then I'd prolly say something directly to them.

zoebisch01 said:
lol man. I hope I didn't come across as an @sshat when I pointed that out. :fro:

No, not at all! I knew something was wrong with what I was thinking, but I couldn't figure out what. LOL!

And thanks, cweston. That made it even clearer.

Last I checked a Quarter Pounder at McD's doesn't end up being a Quarter pound of beed after all the ooze, skin and hair cook off it. Fistfight?!?!?

I bought a bag of chips, then realized the bag wasn't full. I wanted a friggin' BAG OF CHIPS, not 6 ounzes of chips in a half-filled baG!!!!!!! THRROOOOWDOOOWNNN!!!!

I usually travel with my briefcase full of liquid and dry measurement instruments so that I can confirm when I'm getting swindled.

I know what the problem was. The bar had their tap calibrated to dispense exactly one pint of beer, but the glasses are all mismarked.

Fiery Sword said:
Last I checked a Quarter Pounder at McD's doesn't end up being a Quarter pound of beed after all the ooze, skin and hair cook off it. Fistfight?!?!?

I bought a bag of chips, then realized the bag wasn't full. I wanted a friggin' BAG OF CHIPS, not 6 ounzes of chips in a half-filled baG!!!!!!! THRROOOOWDOOOWNNN!!!!

I usually travel with my briefcase full of liquid and dry measurement instruments so that I can confirm when I'm getting swindled.

Lol, I see your point fiery. But there are standards for a reason. As for the McD's they specifically call out it is a pre-cooked weight. The bag contents are packed by weight. But you're right, anything can be taken to the n-th degree and causing fights over it isn't worth it. On the other hand I think it is our responsibility as a consumer to keep companies honest.

My problem with this scenario is why in the world would anyone order stella artois or as its better know in my parts 'wifebeater' :p .
Seriously though i can see both sides of the arguement, i think you were 100% correct to call them on the measure size, but leaving the 1 cent tip was a bit demeaning (esp since tipping in america is part of the culture, don't know why they don't just pay them a living wage and make tipping optional, but thats another thread.)

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, I see your point fiery. But there are standards for a reason. As for the McD's they specifically call out it is a pre-cooked weight. The bag contents are packed by weight. But you're right, anything can be taken to the n-th degree and causing fights over it isn't worth it. On the other hand I think it is our responsibility as a consumer to keep companies honest.
Absolutely agreed. I forgot to add a smiley in there, too, so I hope it didn't come across as war-mongering. I'm kind of getting a kick out of this thread, in a funny (not confrontation) way. It reminds me of many situations I've gotten into with my brother. He can't help but get fired up about stuff like this, and I just take it all with a grain of salt. I'm believe that sometimes my pint is on the weak side, and sometimes it floweth over. It all works out in the end. It's all in the carma. Oops. I mean karma. :D

Fiery Sword said:

We have people in the U.K. paid to do just that (weight and measurements dept or something) maybe thats why we get a full pint ;) .

delboy said:
We have people in the U.K. paid to do just that (weight and measurements dept or something) maybe thats why we get a full pint ;) .

Yeah we've got em too. Department of weights and measures.

Long live the Kitsilano pint! :mug:

LMFAO... you know how they have those cert stickers on all gas pumps in the US? They need to go around and cert all the "pint" glasses and "double deuce" glasses.

"umm, waiter... my pint glass it out of date."

:D :D

I tried to stay out of this thread.... its just so damn funny. They need to make a Senfield episode about this. George will go on and on about .473 liters and Jerry will hum and haw while throwing his arms up in the air. Kramer will slide in w/ stogie and interrupt saying, "Jerry, a pint is .473 L not .400", then slide out. CLASSIC!!!

sirsloop said:
LMFAO... you know how they have those cert stickers on all gas pumps in the US? They need to go around and cert all the "pint" glasses and "double deuce" glasses.

:lol:

Lol that is funny. It would make a good SNL skit.

I just went to my local home brew store and bought 6.6 pounds of LME for my next beer.. once I got home I found out I was close to a pound short...

Oh well... I guess it's ok to get shorted :) I will just have to make less beer.

sirsloop said:

:D :D

I tried to stay out of this thread.... its just so damn funny. They need to make a Senfield episode about this. George will go on and on about .473 liters and Jerry will hum and haw while throwing his arms up in the air. Kramer will slide in w/ stogie and interrupt saying, "Jerry, a pint is .473 L not .400", then slide out. CLASSIC!!!

And Elaine's in the background with a calculator trying to figure out the difference!

Cregar said:
I just went to my local home brew store and bought 6.6 pounds of LME for my next beer.. once I got home I found out I was close to a pound short...

Oh well... I guess it's ok to get shorted :)

Different... they should be using a scale to measure how much LME goes into the bucket. There's no line on the bucket that says 6.6 pounds. I think there is a pretty big difference there too... 1 pound is like 4-5 bucks where as this thread is griping over 2 ounces. Would you go back if your bucket only had 6.54 pounds???

The same could be said about going to the butcher,and watching as they toss the wrapping paper on the scale, then pile on the meat. "WAIT, YOU FORGOT TO TARE THE PAPER WEIGHT! I WANT MY .0001 POUNDS DEDUCTED FROM MY BILL!!!"

sirsloop said:
Different... they should be using a scale to measure how much LME goes into the bucket. There's no line on the bucket that says 6.6 pounds. I think there is a pretty big difference there too... 1 pound is like 4-5 bucks where as this thread is griping over 2 ounces. Would you go back if your bucket only had 6.54 pounds???

The same could be said about going to the butcher,and watching as they toss the wrapping paper on the scale, then pile on the meat. "WAIT, YOU FORGOT TO TARE THE PAPER WEIGHT! I WANT MY .0001 POUNDS DEDUCTED FROM MY BILL!!!"
I guess it's not the amount, It's the principle that they think it's okay to misrepresent.

Fiery Sword said:
They could get official measurements with Neuman's PO scales!

They would have to drive to the post office to measure the difference, all the while adding in how much gas they used on the trip to the post office :p

Though usually I would also let something like this slide, I happen to agree with Nostrildamus. I probably wouldn't have done the penny tip, since that's reserved for when they spit in my food, but I might have given her 10% instead of my usual 20. She doesn't get to make any decisions, like some people have pointed out, so it's not -exactly- her fault, but she should have handled it better. She should have just apologized and asked if they wanted to see the manager. Canada might be a gray area, since apparently they use US and Imperial pints, but still, it's the principle of the thing. If either the waitress or the bartender (who really ought to know better) said "We're really sorry, we don't have bigger glasses to serve you in and we can't come down on the price or our manager will strangle us, but we'll change the board", I would have been fine with that. But they didn't do that, they argued with the guy. I feel like that shouldn't happen in a restaurant.

sirsloop said:

George: "Why do I always get the small pint?!"
Jerry:"Small pint.....small...Man?"

Enter Kramer. Kramer is given a pint overflowing by the bartender on the house.

Kramer makes a clicking noise, winks and says: "Gidddyeaap!"

Bobby_M said:
She probably spit in both pints from 8 feet away after that episode. You waitress arguing folks are pretty brave souls. That should really be the reason you don't go back.

Seriously. :drunk:

Dave R said:
I guess I don't get it. If a pint is .473 of a liter and the glass was .4 of a liter, then the difference that you were making such a fuss about was only 73 THOUSANDTHS of a pint? Can you even measure that? What is that.. a drop? They were probably glad to see you go.

But, the amount in question is not the issue here. Even if you are making a case about it being a miniscule amount, the same goes for the tavern. If it's such a small amount, why don't they just make it a true pint?

I agree for the most part with the OP here. As a customer, you should be free from false advertising and scams such as this. He has every right to bring it up with the employees. No, they themselves didn't set the policy, but at the same time, by giving him more beer or a discount and acknowledging his point, they wouldn't lose anything. It's not like the business will charge employees for how much beer is consumed.

The employees should have just said, "you know, I didn't know that, but you're right, I'll let the manager know, and in the meantime, I'll knock some off the price (or whatever, but something)" and then bring the issue up with their supervisors or management.

If you reread the OP's posting, he uses exclamations in the waitress's responses, indicating rudeness. Even if the employee is frustrated with the customer, it is their job to be professional and correct the situation. If not, then they assume the risk of not being tipped well or at all. That being said, I wasn't there, so I'm just going with the way I perceived it to have occured.

My 2 cents.

Edit: whether you agree or not with his decision to leave a lousy tip, i'm sure we'd all appreciate getting a true pint from the bar if we were to frequent there. They wouldn't have changed the policy without him bringing it up.
"The crying baby gets the milk"

The term used for glasses that are not legal pints and are above "glass" size is "Sleave". The bars in Vancouver know this. Most call them sleaves, but some insist on making them seem bigger than they are by calling them "Pints".

In fact it is supposed to be illegal to call it a pint if it is not a pint. At least it used to be. Then again, I have never seen that actually enforced.

This reminds me of a drug dealer that gives small bags.

You can buy 'em, or you can walk away and ***** about the quality. In the end, if you want it you'll buy it.

sirsloop said:
OCD much???

Drink the "pint", don't tip well, and don't come back. No need to piss on the waitress or bartender. Its not their fault the establishment uses glasses for "pints"...

IMHO, you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
You're missing the point (pint?)...It's their ignorance he's attacking.

In Europe they specify the size of the glass with the corresponding price for that glass (0,3l or 0,5l etc.) (Those numbers represent 3 centiliters or tenths of a liter and 5 centiliters of half a liter).

It's the principle!!

Like when I was in OK...Shiner (from TX) is an import...really....? ? ? ?
IDIOTS!!!!

homebrewer_99 said:
Like when I was in OK...Shiner (from TX) is an import...really....? ? ? ?
IDIOTS!!!!

There's an Italian restaurant in my town where they list Sam Adams in the "Specialty and Imported Beer" section of the menu. I'm not sure which they consider the Boston Lager to be (they didn't specify which Sam Adams beer on the menu, but that's what they brought me), but either way....:confused:

delboy said:

My Aunt used to do that. She and another woman used to go into pubs and order a pint and a shot. Then they say who they were and order one of each spirit to check that it had not been watered down. I would have loved that job!

And yes, if the board says a pint then a pint you should get. As for tipping and not tipping I was not there and cannot comment as I do not know the full picture.

I understand the principle of the original point. Some bar and restaurants post "Pints" on their draft bills, and think they can try to bring back some of that ole world charm, but it falls flat. I mean unless you have some bar wench lugging pints and quarts around, and marking her totals on slate with a chunk of coal, and such...well, then they are still in the 21st Century. I know, kind of a stretch, but I hate bars that try to be ole world cool, and have video jukeboxes, electric dart boards and all kinds of new age junk.

But, I have seen many a bar that serves drafts and bottle selections in different glasses. Drafts served in actual pint glasses, while bottle beers are served with 12oz pilsner glasses. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to see their logic, as the 12s would look a bit short and get some complaints.

I love the bars and restaurants who, when you order a draft, ask if you want a 16 or 22 ounce. Precise and to the ounce, which is fine with me.

I also see the other points made in regards to the treatment of the staff. For myself, when I find a place that understands less than me about serving methods, attitudes, etc... I use it as an example of why not to frequent the establishment, or know my options are limited. True, kindness can get you many places that anger will not. But blatent disregard for the customer and their questions does indeed suck. But remember, all bars and restaurants have the right to have you tossed out or have you removed at ther disgression. Even if it is something they are completely wrong about.

Nostrildamus said:
Alright look at it this way. What my friends received was closer to a bottle than a pint (.038 litres when a bottle is .033 litres). If you ordered a pint, and in Canada outside of Quebec we use Imperial pints (.568 litres) more often than US pints, and you instead received a bottle would you pay the pint price and not bring it to the servers attention?
Umm not so fast. Official measure in Canada for liquid volume has been the metric system since the 1970s, so the term 'pint' has no official standing. The smaller US pint never had legal standing here.

When was the last time you saw gasoline sold in gallons. Milk in quarts? Beer labelled in pints OR quarts? It's been metric for decades.

What was the bar supposed to do- offer a '40 centiliter glass' on the menu?

I don't know where you got your facts, but Quebec is no different in this respect than the rest of Canada. Glasses of beer in Quebec bars are commonly a 'pint' if you're English speaking, or a 'buck' or 'bock' if you're french speaking. Or the other way around if you're blingual. They're actually anywhere from 300 to 500 ml.

I guess you guys on the left coast don't have important things to occupy your day..............

Be a nice guy and go back to the bar and apologise to the waitress.

orfy said:
The method may not be right but it's simple if you have paid for a pint you should get a pint.

I'm afraid if I was in there I'd of tipped the waitress but paid $4.50 - 15% for the pint - 15%

This would be my stand. The tip is for the service. You pay for the product.

In addition to this, if I felt as strongly (I'm too laid back to really bother), I'd petition the alcohol regulation authority in your province. If it's anything like mine, you would see instant, dramatic overreaction.

A pint is in fact a unit of measure and if alcohol is being dispensed on a regular basis under a measure that does not conform with Canada's standards of measure, an infraction is being committed with regards to provincial law. To sell a pint that is less than a pint is no different than selling a 40 ouncer that is 50 ounces. Can you hear the MADD members screaming over that? No competition is encouraged with regards to alcohol in Canada.

Mikey said:
Umm not so fast. Official measure in Canada for liquid volume has been the metric system since the 1970s, so the term 'pint' has no official standing. The smaller US pint never had legal standing here.

Oh, come on, Mikey, of course it does. That's like saying the Japanes yen has no standing because we use a dollar. Look at your jerry can. It's measured in gallons and it has separate measurement marks for both US and UK gallons. We do a lot of businiss with the states. BOTH measures have official standing. In fact, weights and measures have standards neither of us have even HEARD of, but they are official nonetheless. If you don't specify one or the other, you could probably defend serving the lesser of the two, but certainly not some other arbritary quantity.

Mikey said:

When was the last time you saw gasoline sold in gallons. Milk in quarts? Beer labelled in pints OR quarts? It's been metric for decades.

I don't know where you got your facts, but Quebec is no different in this respect than the rest of Canada. Glasses of beer in Quebec bars are commonly a 'pint' if you're English speaking, or a 'buck' or 'bock' if you're french speaking. Or the other way around if you're blingual. They're actually anywhere from 300 to 500 ml.

I guess you guys on the left coast don't have important things to occupy your day..............

Be a nice guy and go back to the bar and apologise to the waitress.

Well, they did advertise it in a pint, so they should have served a pint. And like some others have already pointed out, in Europe they do advertise .33 liters, .5, 1, and so on, with the line right on the glass. They do the same in the UK with half-pint, pint, and whatever the metric amount of wine they serve as a 'glass'. Same with spirits. Not to shove a stick in anyone's wheel, but I don't think he was really being that rude--it's not like he was screaming or anything. He has the right to not leave a tip if he feels that he was not served well. Think about it a different way--what if they advertised pints of imported beer for 4.50$ and listed a few beers. Your friends all got pints of whatever, but you got your Stella in a smaller glass. I'd be pretty irritated, especially if they argued with me saying that the smaller glass was a pint too. The customer is always right, trite as it sounds, especially when the customer really is right. :D

Fingers said:
Oh, come on, Mikey, of course it does. That's like saying the Japanes yen has no standing because we use a dollar. Look at your jerry can. It's measured in gallons and it has separate measurement marks for both US and UK gallons. We do a lot of businiss with the states. BOTH measures have official standing. In fact, weights and measures have standards neither of us have even HEARD of, but they are official nonetheless. If you don't specify one or the other, you could probably defend serving the lesser of the two, but certainly not some other arbritary quantity.

The Japanese yen is not official tender in Canada- only the Canadian dollar is.

Jerry cans may be marked in US, Imperial, metric and furlongs per fortnight if that still exists. None of them are certified as being legal for trade, just like your bathroom scale.

Yes we 'recognize' US dollars and Japanese yen, and I still go to the store 'for a quart of milk'. But I can't complain when the store keeper sells me a litre of milk and the tourists don't have a legal complaint if a local merchant won't accept US dollar or offers a crappy exchange rate.

The original post was titled "Pint is a legal measure and not subjective" which is true in the UK and maybe the US, but not in Canada.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=240472#post240472

Talk about a tempest in a (metric) teapot................:tank:

Mikey said:
The original post was titled "Pint is a legal measure and not subjective" which is true in the UK and maybe the US, but not in Canada.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=240472#post240472

Talk about a tempest in a (metric) teapot................:tank:

Well, I strongly disagree, Mikey. We do need to deal with countries that use these measures so we absolutely have to have a legal definition for them. Without common ground there can't be any trade. Using those measures domestically does not invalidate their legal definition.

Anyway, your tempest in a teapot comment indicates that you don't want to discuss this any further so I guess I'll let it go but I remain unconvinced.

I cant believe somebody actually said in normal conversation, "0.473"

You should have just light sabored the waitress' head off!

Mikey said:

Hmmm. Since the building codes in Canada are still in inches and feet then I guess they aren't legal either then??

It's misrepresentation. A glass is a glass if called a glass... see the logic here? Doesn't matter what the official system is.

I will say though, that I wouldl have brought this up with management not the poor bar staff who are just doing what the management says.

Latest posts

Back