Pink Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
My wife and I have a baby on the way, its a girl. My wife just decided she wants beer at the baby shower and requested a pink beer. When you wife requests that you make a beer you do not say no...EVER!

So my first thought was a grapefruit wheat ale. I have 5 weeks to brew, ferment, and bottle condition. I am afraid that a fruit beer will not have had sufficient time for the flavors to merge together. I need suggestions. One though I had was a to brew a light ale and add food coloring, but I am afraid of what that will do to the yeast.

Another thought is that I have a delicious raspberry mead that I made. I am tempted to add a 32 oz bottle to a 5 gallon batch of something pale and pray it turns pink. Any thoughts or ideas?

This is not going to be a group of hardcore hop heads so it has to be something mellow.

Aren't baby showers traditionally alcohol free since the bride can't drink?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I'd think you could add food coloring on bottling day without an issue.

You'll certainly need a lighter beer with such short time.

You could try a ratio of some commercial (or current homebrew if you have it) and mix it with your mead to see what it does.

A very occasional small glass of wine or beer for a pregnant woman is not a problem. At least that's what my wife's doctors told us when she was pregnant with our son. She never actually drank a glass, but would occasionally take a sip or two of my beer.

Also, beer is good for woman who breast feed. Again, in moderation, but it helps the process.

A local brewery (Night shift) just made a weissbier with cranberry. The result was a cloudy pink beer, beasutoful to look at and fantastic tasting.

I like the beet idea, I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever do a pink/red beer.

From my personal experience I would recommend staying away from strawberries; it doesn't seem to add enough color and requires a lot of berries for flavor. I did have a beer called Rosée D'hibiscus from a Canadian brewery that was a very nice pink color, so hibiscus flowers should work. Also adding a flower component has a nice "girly" touch considering the baby is a girl (label ideas, etc). I have not used it in a beer so I can't provide quantity advice, although people have done it before on the forum.

Just my two cents, but brew a pale beer (all two row) of gravity no higher than 1.050, and I would TOTALLY make a braggot using that fruit mead you have. A well done braggot is hard to come by! It would give it some pinkish color for sure which could be aided with the help of a little food coloring.

I've actually had a Beet Wheat at Right Brain Brewing in Traverse City, MI. It was very good. The beet flavor was very subtle and the beer itself had a nice bright pink color with a light pink head.

i'll echo the hibiscus.

i just popped a bottle of a hibiscus wheat my wife recently designed the recipe for...it definitely has a pinkish hue.

tastes good too :)

Oh yeah,I forgot that I've actually had a beet beer. It was BRIGHT red. Really tasty, too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back