Pineapple enzymes. Would they convert starches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
My SWMBO works with a farmer's wife. I could, if i brought over a growler of beer, score a bucket of nice, fresh, just harvested wheat. I could malt the grains but I am wondering if the enzymes from a pineapple or 2 would be sufficient to convert the starches in 10lbs of grain to sugar... or is it a different type of enzyme... I know it's what is used to tenderize steak... Am I onto something? I'm not sure if it'd be great but would it be possible? (heck, just add peaches and mango's and you'd have the ultimate fruit beer... LOL!!!)

wow ive never heard of pineapple tenderizing a steak.....i wonder who first decided to try that out. good to know i guess

wow ive never heard of pineapple tenderizing a steak.....i wonder who first decided to try that out. good to know i guess

Most natural tenderizing agents are actually made from pinapples. I use it all the time as a baste for turkey on thanksgiving, always turns out amazing with tender meat and a nice citrus twang. Then there's my pineapple wine..

I wonder if that's why my mouth is raw after munchin on a pineapple all day long...(lets not even get into what gastro-intestinal issues come to light on those days, hehehe) :drunk:

It won't do what you're looking for. You could use amylase enzyme @ 1tsp/5gal

Yeah, I did know that. The idea just struck me on the way home from work and it's been mullin around in the back of my head for awhile now. Thought maybe someone'd know one way or another. :D

just use basic 2-row with the unmalted wheat, it should have plenty to convert the wheat.

I wonder if that's why my mouth is raw after munchin on a pineapple all day long...(lets not even get into what gastro-intestinal issues come to light on those days, hehehe) :drunk:
That is from the acids in it, trick I learned living in Hawaii is use a sprinkle of salt (not enough to taste) on fresh pineapple to cut down the acid in the mouth.

Back