Pineapple aromas in Mango wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crevie

Reaction score
I have a mango wine just out of primary that smells strongly of pineapple. A quick Google search and this appears to be part of the esterification process of amino acids degrading. I read that this complex process occurs from an interaction between acids and alcohol. This makes sense due to me adjusting the pH after pitching the yeast. I read it can also occur at higher fermentation temperatures which also makes sense as I was fermenting on a heat mat being in Scotland heading into the winter. I've also read that excessive aromas are considered a flaw. I'm also concerned about the creation of acetates. I'm a rookie wine maker and chemistry isn't a skill I have and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. I've racked 4 gallons of this wine into 4 demijohn's. Should I persevere with it, is it safe and should it be drunk young please? Thanks

Attachments

• 20221021_133732.jpg
    20221021_133732.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I imagine it is quite safe.
Whether to drink it young: Does it taste good right now?
I am not sure about the preserving...

Thanks. I'll give it three to six month's, sniff/taste it and if its OK stabilise and bottle. I'll probably drink it young.

Disclaimer- I’ve never made fruit wine (other than cider). The closest I’ve come is a few batches of mead and several batches of cider.

A couple thoughts: mango wine would probably have a generic tropical flavor in addition to the mango flavors and aromas, of course. Pineapple should complement that, I’d think.

How does it taste? If you like the taste, I wouldn’t get worked up about the chemistry. In my opinion, we worry too much about what should or shouldn’t happen based off what we read on the internet and give way too much credence to that over our own perceptions.

Lastly, if it’s not great and you have the means to bottle or bulk age it for a while, do that. You might find in a couple of years that it’s changed (in your favor) considerably.

Disclaimer- I’ve never made fruit wine (other than cider). The closest I’ve come is a few batches of mead and several batches of cider.

A couple thoughts: mango wine would probably have a generic tropical flavor in addition to the mango flavors and aromas, of course. Pineapple should complement that, I’d think.

How does it taste? If you like the taste, I wouldn’t get worked up about the chemistry. In my opinion, we worry too much about what should or shouldn’t happen based off what we read on the internet and give way too much credence to that over our own perceptions.

Lastly, if it’s not great and you have the means to bottle or bulk age it for a while, do that. You might find in a couple of years that it’s changed (in your favor) considerably.
Thanks. I'm probably over thinking it. :)

Latest posts

Back