Gnarly acid in pineapple wines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fruitwhiner

Reaction score
I made an orange pineapple wine I called The Brunchinator, a tepache-esque brew I call Fauxpache (using the flesh of pineapple rather than skin) and In the Evening, a mellower, less orangey version of the Brunchinator which clarified beautifully for evening drinking. All are horrifically acid. The Brunchinator has been aging for 5 months and the Fauxpache for only 2. Will the pineapple acid mellow out with age or do I need do do something? In the future, how do I stop the overwhelming acid in process? None of these wines tasted so acidy when bottled. Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I love pineapple and am making some tropical fruit wines (like a POG- anyone got a recipe?) which will also likely have lots of acid. I thought I left all that behind when I stopped following The Dead but oh well (lol).

I didn't learn about adding chalk until I had a strawberry wine totally quit 2 days after it started fermenting last month. I've already bottled all the abovementioned wines. I think maybe I could unbottle, add chalk to the lot, rack then re-bottle?

Latest posts

Back