Pine Flavored Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a beer a week ago with Southern Cross, Chinook, and Northern Brewer. It should be almost pure pine, with a hint of citrus and lemon (going by the hops descriptions).

Once it's kegged, I'll report back.

So....not really all that piney. It's a very good beer, but not really the pine notes I was looking for. I'm thinking that "pine" as a descriptor is not really pine at all, just a way of describing something that's earthy and possibly woody (heh).

If you want true pine, add spruce tips.

Last year I wanted to make a simple APA with a nice pine aroma so I took to the internets for recommended hops and saw all the Chinook talk.

I dry-hopped with 1oz of Chinook into 5gal and the result was not even remotely close to what I was after. No pine at all.. the most notable contribution of those hops was a kind of sharp hop flavor that, frankly, I didn't enjoy very much. I know the base batch of beer was good because I did a split 10gal batch and the bucket with no dry hops was fine; a bit citrusy, even. Kettle hops were Cascade.

I don't know if I just got a bunk sample of Chinook or if you're supposed to use some other technique to coax out the pine (whirlpool additions, etc.) but it absolutely did not work for me.

My brew hit the keg Saturday night and is force carbing now. I sampled it last night. There is a lot of hop flavor, but not exactly the pine I was looking for. Weird thing is, the after flavor, or flavor when you burp is pure pine. The flavor when drinking it is more dank/earthy. I'm thinking of brewing this again and lowering the Chinook and upping the simcoe a bit. Probably going to adjust the grain bill a bit as well. However, keep in mind, this beer was a week old when I tasted it yesterday.

So....not really all that piney. It's a very good beer, but not really the pine notes I was looking for. I'm thinking that "pine" as a descriptor is not really pine at all, just a way of describing something that's earthy and possibly woody (heh).

If you want true pine, add spruce tips.

Yes, absolutely.

I judged a lot this weekend and had at least 2 IPAs I am guessing have at least Chinook in them. OK, I can SEE why people call it that. To me it's more grapefruit, maybe a hint of earthy/woody (WE HAVE WOOD!!!:off::D)
And to get serious for a moment, maybe a tad grapefruit zest-like? (No, I'm not just... z(j)esting.:ban:)

I am drinking Ninkasi brewing pacific rain northwest pale ale. I get a lot of pine from it, but I am not a judge. The hops are Simcoe, mosaic, nugget and citra.

Latest posts

Back