Pine/citrus dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Looking to split my ipa into two batches and dry hop one with a citrus hop, and the other with a more piney hop. What are good citrus hops and what are good piney hops? Is there a good website or thread that separates them by this flavor?

chinook is somewhat piney. tons of citrus ones, my fave's being amarillo and citra.

Interestingly enough, i dry hopped a red today with chinook and am about to dry hop and IPA with amarillo and citra in a few hours.

I've done Amarillo, and will probably do one simcoe for the pine. I guess I'm looking for another good citrus hop to use. Maybe I'll try citra and see how that works out.

Citra is great. It was made by Sierra Nevada in 2008:

Hybrid of a number of different hops. The breakdown is as follows:

50% Hallertauer Mittelfrüh

25% U.S. Tettnanger

25% East Kent Golding, Bavarian, Brewers Gold, and other unknown hops.

My favorite for citrusy is simcoe/amarillo together! It's like grapefruit juice in my beer.

I think simcoe has a piney flavor, as does chinook but they also have so much citrus it's more of an "undertaste" if that makes sense.

I don't like citra. I did an all-citra beer and it screamed MANGO something awful. I added some cascades in the dryhop to mellow it a bit, and it was better but tasted like tropical fruit like Juicy Fruit gum.

I don't like citra. I did an all-citra beer and it screamed MANGO something awful. I added some cascades in the dryhop to mellow it a bit, and it was better but tasted like tropical fruit like Juicy Fruit gum.

That's why I like Citra. I don't like it by itself, but my house amber ale is 2 parts Amarillo to 1 part Citra, which puts that mango flavor in balance with some citrus. Citra is strong stuff though- not subtle.

For the OP, there's always Centennial. Two Hearted Ale is a citrusy thing of beauty, and it's got nothing but Centennial in it.

If you are looking for pine Simcoe is king in my book...Cascade has grapefruit/citrus, floral flavors

Latest posts

Back