Pilsner Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am about to start brewing a Pilsner in a week or two.
Will be my 2nd brew!
Anyone who have any advice on pilsners before I get started?

A Pilsner is a pale lager. Do you have the means for temperature controlled fermentation? Is this a kit? What yeast will you be using?

Unfortunately, I am not able to have a static temperature. Fermenter is placed in my garage, dark, typically 60 - 75 F.
This is a kit from MoreBeer!, and am not sure what the yeast is. It is still packaged, and stored away with my kit.
I was considering buying some Chinook hops, to give it more of a bitter / hoppy taste than your typical pilsner would have.

I took a look at the MoreBeer kit and the yeasts that you'll use have to be fermented at around 50 deg. Lagers are pretty tricky anyway beyond just temp control. Read up on some of the lager fermentation threads here and make sure you really want to dive into the lager world. (You can make a darn tasty light ale without all the lager hassle too.)

Yea, from everything I have heard, lager's seem to be more tricky. May be best to tackle that when the temp cools, then the garage will be right at the 50 mark.
I think I will read up on some good IPA recipes here and go that route. I'm not a big fan of the ingredient kits =\

First and foremost, temperature control as others have mentioned for lagers, and remember that even though your ambient environment temperature will be at a certain level, it doesn't necessarily mean that's where the beer will be.

From my first pilsner experience, I would definitely recommend a diacetyl rest to avoid the potential butter taste :( (was still super drinkable though, thankfully...<3 super saaz).

I have my first Czech Pils fermenting right now at 50 degrees. Instructions I have say to allow temp to hit mid '60's for a couple days after the aggressive fermenting is finished, secondary, then store at 40 degrees for 3-4 weeks. We'll see how it turns out.

Back