pils/palemalt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I'm mistaken it is virtually the same grain. Often times as reference for base malts people and companies will generalize as 2 row, pale, pils similarly along with whichever name or nationality it comes from.

Pale is quite a bit darker 2.5-4 L whereas pils is 1.5-2 L

Generally, you can't substitute one for the other. Pils is undermodified whereas the pale malt is highly modified.

Yup I was mistaken. Interesting the Home Brewing Wiki doesn't label belgian pale malt only belgian pilsner. I searched and found this site that explains;

Belgian Pils - Light color, mashed easily, malty flavor. High enzyme levels allow for mashing of large percentages of (nonenzymatic) adjunct grains. Prefferred grain for triples, whites and special ales.

Belgium Pale Ale Malt - can be used as a base malt or in conjunction with regular 2 row malt to impart a richer malt flavor and additional color. Pale ale malt is a two row variety that is kilned longer and is usually better modified, giving it a more pronounced flavor than regular 2 row. It is also deeper in color, which can add a golden hue to your wort. The enzymes in Pale ale malt can support the use of nonenzymatic specialty malts.

Latest posts

Back