PID recommendations for HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Brewzer

Reaction score
I have a HLT that I am putting together and I need some advice on PID selection. I am using a 6000w 240V heating element, and I have the ability to recirculate with the tank I am using. I am looking for a PID that would be able to control both the heating element (via relay) as well as a 120V pump (chugger) so I can run the pump while the element is on to keep a homogenous temperature in the kettle. Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive PID that has outputs to control two devices, either simultaneously or separately? Would I be better off getting separate PID's or temp controllers for each device?

I do have an extra Inkbird ITC-1000 (2 stage), if I can use that it'd be great but I don't think I can use the two stages to control temperature in the same direction. Maybe use on stage to control a relay for the heater, then the other to cycle the pump until it cools down to the correct temp? Not sure if that would work.

Also, would a 40A ssr work for switching the heating element? That shouldn't draw more than about 30A, but not sure if an SSR will work with that, never used them before.

The idea is that the pump would run either while the element is on, or when it is turned off to cycle temp down to the correct temperature. I just want to turn it on at night and have water at the right temp when I get up to brew without babysitting it. After a couple brews, I'm sure I could set the PID to overshoot to a certain temp, and then cycle with the pump to homogenize hot spots and bring it to the correct temp, but I'd rather have the PID do it for me. During the rest of the brew day, you are right, and I do use a similar setup for switching a pump on and off.

I wouldn't want to leave a pump unattended overnight just in case it looses it's prime is all. I can't imagine it taking long to even out the temp once you fired up the pump and grabbed a cup of coffee. Maybe I am wrong

having the pump run for preheat is a bit of a stretch. Really no need. if the entire volume is 160 degrees there will be little stratification to worry about for strike temps.
I am not aware of a PID controller that can simultaneously run a pump too.

You might be able to use a PID with an alarm relay output, like the Mypin TD4, with the SSR trigger output controlling the SSR that controls the heating element, and use the alarm output to turn on a pump when the HLT reaches the programmed alarm temp.

You will also likely ruin the pump if you are cycling it on and off as fast as you would want the PID to cycle the element.

A cheap gear motor and a homemade stirrer is my ugly junk solution for my HLT.

stirrer4.jpg

Back