Pid questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
I have not selected my pid temperature controlled yet, but I do have a few questions that will let me plan.

What brand/model are you using and are you happy?

I noticed that there are multiple power options for most pid s. In Kal's example, it looks like he is using 120v to power his pid s and the alarm pin outputs are 120v. If I use the 24v ac or dc power source, will the alarm outputs be the same voltage?

Kal said you could use the alarm feature to signal when the HLT is at the target temperature. Does that mean that you have to set the alarm temperature to be the same temperature as the target temperature? Does that mean you have to set 2 temperatures (target and alarm) every time you brew? Have you seen any that automatically set the alarm to go off at target?

Thanks in advance.

The 2352 is one of the most popular I've seen on this page, for good reason. It's what I use. I installed alarms for all of them, and wound up never using them. But that's just me. If you wanted an alarm to go off, you would have to set what temperature you want it to go off at, so yes - you would need to set 2 values every time. I have not seen any that automatically go off when the target value is reached. Typically, and from the instructions that come with the PIDs, the alarm values are actually used to do something other than just sound an annoying buzzer - they turn on fans or cooling systems or conveyer belts or any of a number of things that move the process along - serving more value than just a buzzer.

-Kevin

I use mypin model td4-snr (dual alarm) and td4-ssr they also have manual mode and the same functionality as the auber units but that are only $20-25 shipped vs $50 from auberins....

I noticed that there are multiple power options for most pid s. In Kal's example, it looks like he is using 120v to power his pid s and the alarm pin outputs are 120v. If I use the 24v ac or dc power source, will the alarm outputs be the same voltage?

The alarm outputs on all those controllers are "dry" relay contacts. The contacts are isolated from the controllers power supply. You have to supply the voltage to the contacts to operate your alarm circuit so you can use 24v ac or dc with a 120v controller.

I use mypin model td4-snr (dual alarm) and td4-ssr they also have manual mode and the same functionality as the auber units but that are only $20-25 shipped vs $50 from auberins....

Do they have all of the same features as the auberins? Alarms, etc.

Do you have a comparable manual? The auberins have such a well written manual, I was tempted to get 3 of those just to save me the pain of figuring out the Chinese version.

Thanks.

Do they have all of the same features as the auberins? Alarms, etc.

Do you have a comparable manual? The auberins have such a well written manual, I was tempted to get 3 of those just to save me the pain of figuring out the Chinese version.

Thanks.

They do have the same features and functionality but the manual (or direction sheet) is not very well written... luckily once I figured out how to navigate the menus it wasn't difficult to set them up.
There are different td4 models including one for driving a relay instead of a SSR and also one with dual alarms (which I use on my rims tube)

They do have the same features and functionality but the manual (or direction sheet) is not very well written... luckily once I figured out how to navigate the menus it wasn't difficult to set them up.
There are different td4 models including one for driving a relay instead of a SSR and also one with dual alarms (which I use on my rims tube)

Do you feel that the td4 is as good/accurate as the auberins?

I also need to be able to have my alarms go off when I hit my set temp. I saw that the auberins have an alarm setting of deviation and that zero was a valid number. Can the td4 do that?

Thanks for your help.

Has anyone used the Rex-c100 series pid's?

They do not look like they are as accurate as others, but they can be had on eBay for $11.

I am thinking of using them just for alarms and temperature measuring.

Has anyone used the Rex-c100 series pid's?

They do not look like they are as accurate as others, but they can be had on eBay for $11.

I am thinking of using them just for alarms and temperature measuring.

I have and while mine seemed to work ok for measuring temps it was not setup to drive an ssr even though the seller stated it was, it also lacked functionality like manual mode and only displayed Celsius .... I neer used the alarm feature but there are other temp readout display units with alarm functionality for about $15 that do F degree readouts
the TD4s I use keep accurate temps I noticed that the sensors can vary and throw this off but they are easy to recalibrate and they work great for what we are trying to use them for here...

Latest posts

Back