PID question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfighter04

Reaction score
I'm not a complete moron when it comes to electronics and electricity, and before I dive into a HERMs project, I'd like to get a little more understanding of how the system integrates.

I'm pretty new to PID's so my first question is. for a 240v element, does a single PID control both legs of the circuit? In otherwords does it turn of and on both phases of a 240 circuit simultaneously? If not, is one PID left in manual and the other in auto? Just trying to understand the control side of the system.

I also plan to hard mount an SS chiller into the BK, but I'm not sure what bulkhead fittings people are using for the chiller. I'm thinking of using some sort of quick disconnect fittings externally for the chiller.

I'll be starting my brewspace build out here shortly. I finished building my barn 2 yrs ago, and I have the loft (30'x40') to work with and I plan to build two 12'x15' rooms in it. One for my reloading room, and one for my brew room.

I only control one leg of the 240v circuit, but with 2 ssr's per element, you can control both. The PID can control many SSR's at the same time.

I only control one leg of the 240v circuit, but with 2 ssr's per element, you can control both. The PID can control many SSR's at the same time.

Actually, you need to watch load on the PID. Auber's 2352 can only source 30mA so 2 SSRs is the limit for that model.

Back