PID calabration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casabroker

Reaction score
Just finished my controller box. The pid temp seems to be of about 6 degrees+ is there away to calibrate this? Or might it be the thermocoupler??? Anyone ever had this problem???

What brand controller do you have. Have you set the parameter in the controller to let it know what sensor you are working with. Some controllers will allow you to program in a span for the sensor as well as an offset. Check those values and report back.

Just finished my controller box. The pid temp seems to be of about 6 degrees+ is there away to calibrate this? Or might it be the thermocoupler??? Anyone ever had this problem???

Large errors are possible, even with the most expensive equipment - the gear I use in work totals about £10,000 and can still require calibrations of +/- 2 degC regularly.

The only real solution, without paying for an expensive multi-point calibration, is to just use the device and "calibrate it" based on the resulting beer - don't worry too much about the actual number itself, just rather if the number needs to be higher or lower to achieve the results you want for the next batch.

Most of these devices allow a single offset value but the error, almost without exception, will vary with temperature. My PID + pt100 is within 0.5 degC at room temp but out by a huge 8 degC at boiling! If you are only using the PID for one temp or the other, the offset is okay, but if you want to use it at both high and low temp, then an offset can't fix both.

Back