Pid and Motorized ball valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crouchingwombat

Reaction score
I have a motorized ball valve and a pid I'm trying to get to work together.

Inkbid itc 106
Door bell transformer
3 wire motorized ball valve
Rt-100 probe

Using to take glycol from a loop to a fermentor until it gets to temp and then close the ball valve when it is at temp. I need to power the ball valve to open the line at the high temp and then close it again once it reaches the low temp.

I can't figure this out, I've been trying but the ball valve wiring and PID programing to sent power to the ball valve twice is stumping me.

Thanks for the help

Part numbers or specifications would probably be needed to help. Plus a schematic to see how you are wiring it.

That said, I think this will be very difficult. If your PID output results in a Duty Cycle (binary on/off), then the valve would be opening and closing very frequently. If your PID output is proportional, you would need the same type of modulating ball valve. When the PID calls for more cooling, the valve opens slightly, etc.

Also, me thinks if you are using a door bell transformer, its output is unregulated AC... your devices probably need DC.

I think you would be better off using a simple normally closed solenoid valve (like for an irrigation system) and a standard Inkbird controller. If the "cooling" temp threshold is exceeded the Inkbird powers the solenoid and the valve opens, and when the set "cooling" temp is reached the power would be removed and the valve would close.

One of the other threads for this was quite larger. There were some larger issues at hand. I ended up just putting a live controller on the entire unit. Terrible inefficient but it gets the job done.

Back