Pictures of first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preddy08

Reaction score
This was my first batch and I'll have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised. I did a Imperial Pale Ale. At week one I believe the taste is a little "green" fromt what I under stand. This was from a Brewers Best kit and they listed the ABV as 8-8.5% :tank: Its got good carbs so far. The taste is great, a little "bitty" or a little on the bitter side for a IPA. Almost taste like a Indian Pale Ale.

Overall I'm a very happy camper.

Here's a picture of the pour. (Frosty glass, not dirty :D )
CIMG2388.jpg

IPA= India Pale Ale (not Indian or Imperial). If Brewer's Best has an Imperial Pale Ale, that's great but when you say "IPA", it means India Pale Ale.

That's my favorite beer style! I'm a true hophead and I love big hop flavor and aroma, and I drink IPAs more than any other style. Good job on the beer!

I guess the noob should read up a little.

Sorry.

Stright from Wikpeida.

"Double India Pale Ales (abbreviated Double IPAs or DIPAs) are a strong, very hoppy style of pale beer. Also known as Imperial IPAs (or IIPAs), these beers have high amounts of malt and hops. Double IPAs typically have alcohol content above 7% by volume. IBUs are in the very high range (60+). To add to the confusion however, is the fact that American "regular" IPAs (most notably the aforementioned Ballantine IPA of Newark, NJ) long had an ABV of 7.5% and was 70+ IBUs; It was a product that was actually regularly available from the mid 1930's through the 1980s.

There are some brewers that believe the name should be San Diego Pale Ale, since the style most likely started near San Diego, California[22] – specifically a Double IPA brewed in 1994 by Vinnie Cilurzo, then head brewer of Blind Pig Brewing Company of Temecula, California (now brewmaster at Russian River Brewing Company).[23] Cilurzo claims he "accidentally" created the style by adding 50% too much malt to his mash tun. He then "corrected" this mistake by adding 100% more hops. This is up for some debate, however, as the local San Diego Pizza Port brewery claims to have been brewing "the original San Diego IPA",[24] since 1992 when they opened their brewery (two years before Cilurzo and Blind Pig). Still others attribute the creation of this style to Rogue Ales, a microbrewery in Newport, Oregon, and its I2PA beer, brewed in 1990.[1]

Northern California breweries such as Lagunitas and Russian River as well as those in the San Diego area have taken to the Double IPA style (DIPA), including Stone Brewing Company, Green Flash, Oggi's Brewery, Alpine Beer Company, Alesmith, Ballast Point Brewing Company, and Port Brewing Company, etc. The style is extremely common in Oregon, with DIPAs produced by most microbreweries, including Rogue Ales, Deschutes Brewery, Hair of the Dog Brewing Company, Full Sail Brewing Company, Ninkasi Brewing Company, Beer Valley Brewing Co., BridgePort Brewing Company, Laurelwood Brewery. Some DIPAs are now even made in Denmark, Belgium, and Norway.[25][26][27]

Many of the stronger Double IPAs could be alternately classified as American barleywines or Triple IPAs. As a relatively young style, it is still being determined. It is one of the fastest growing styles in the craft beer industry, and a favorite among hopheads. 100% more malt and 200% more hops is the basic (but unofficial) guideline for a Triple IPA versus a normal IPA."

IIPAs are a "more intense" version of an IPA (again, India Pale Ale). I'm not a huge fan of IIPA (DIPA) as they are more of a sipping drink for me. An IPA tends to be pretty quaffable, though!

An "imperial" pale ale really isn't a beer style. Brewer's Best can call it whatever they want, of course.

So is the beer I brewed was a IIPA then? If its a imperial pale ale that means alot more hops were use in the brewing process. I've tasted a few beers dubed indian pale ales and they seem to have a more flowery aroma and a less distinct hops taste.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did notice ALOT more hops were used in this batch than in my second Englis Brown Ale.

week one? So its been in the fridge a week or primary for a week then drink? little confused

No, the bottles have been in a dark cabet for just over a week at about 67 degrees or so.

So is the beer I brewed was a IIPA then? If its a imperial pale ale that means alot more hops were use in the brewing process. I've tasted a few beers dubed indian pale ales and they seem to have a more flowery aroma and a less distinct hops taste.

By all means please correct me if I'm wrong.

I did notice ALOT more hops were used in this batch than in my second Englis Brown Ale.

I don't know, but I highly doubt it was an IIPA. An IIPA is a very high ABV beer with tons of malt as well as hops. Probably an IPA. What was the recipe? We can tell you by looking at the recipe.

PS- INDIA pale ale. NOT Indian.

What the hell does 'Imperial' really mean anyhow. I just finished my IIPA (Pliny the Elder) clone and it finished tasting almost identical to Stone's Ruination.

How long was your boil? Typical IIPA's will boil for 90min to my understanding - also, the hops' schedule will be intense - like close to or at least 1# of hops throughout the boil - along with some dry-hopping. May not be typical but just my two cents.

Give that beer another 2 to 3 weeks before you drink it all up. I'll bet you are surprised with the change in taste. If you like it now, you'll love it then. All my beers from kits (9 I think) have changed flavor drastically with time.

Looks Nice!
I will be pouring a glass next week at the 1 week mark. (Very first batch also) Bottles at 60-62F in the basement. Carbonation seems to be developing fine.
I brewed a True Brew Pale Ale kit. Enjoy! Cheers!!

Back