PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bought the Picobrew system...mine should be here in about 2 weeks. Any tips or advice on how this thing works would be appreciated! When it comes in I will post pics of everything. When I do my first brew I'll post those as well.

Cheers,
Kris

I'm "about 30" orders into this 2nd hundred they're starting to ship the next 2 weeks. Something tells me this thread is going to get interesting in the next few weeks.

The next batch I do I'll document an post here. I'll shoot for the 4th since I was planning on revving up around 10:00am anyways. May as well be making beer too.

Any particulars that you want pictures of? I know Anthropod wanted one of the web interface.

Very interested to see a walkthrough brewing with the Pico! Also interested to see the difference when it comes to chilling vs no chilling in it since it should be a super closed and sanitary system.

Okay, here we go. And since I'm not sure how to break up the attachments with text, you'll have to bare with me.

First, I crafted a new recipe for this batch.

Next, if you want (I didn't for this batch, but attached is another where I did) you can get into the Advanced Options. Here you can modify the brew program to your hearts desire. The second recipe was a varying mash profile.

Now onto rinsing the machine. I give it a flush before and after each batch to keep everything clean and cleared.

When I'm rinsing is when I take care of my ingredient preparation. Since you need to have the step filter in place when rinsing, I mill my grain in a bucket. I keep the hop cage out so I can at least get those all situated.

Next up is a close up of the step filter and hop baskets.

Next post will have the rest.

Recipe.jpg

Advanced Recipe.jpg

80 Acre Advanced Recipe.jpg

WP_20140705_12_57_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_12_51_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_03_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_06_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_06_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_05_27_Pro.jpg

Okay, now we have the step filter back in with the Corny filled with the Mash Water. Also, selecting and firing up the system.

Once you get to this point it is clear sailing till you need to chill. Here is just after I got to Mash Temperature.

At this point, I needed to head to the store for the wife as well as pick up some Ice. I logged on with my cell phone to check progress periodically at the store. These are a couple screen captures from the phone. Once at the store, the other when I was in the house.

Right before getting my chill on. I drew a small sample to check where I was with a refractometer. I was hitting 13 Brix.

Next, the machine will prompt you to connect your chiller.

The liquid left in the chiller is gives off a volume for testing the gravity. I was at 1.054. I've been measuring both Brix and Gravity to see how they align.

Next post is clean up.

WP_20140705_13_13_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_13_38_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_14_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_13_41_44_Pro.jpg

wp_ss_20140518_0001.jpg

wp_ss_20140705_0001.jpg

WP_20140705_16_38_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_16_40_30_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_17_04_03_Pro.jpg

Here is what the step filter and hop basket look like after wards. The filter screens, hop basket and cages all go in the dishwasher.

The largest piece and lid could, but they don't fit in my dishwasher...

I then do a rinse out.

And here we go, yeast is pitched. Should transfer in a little over a week. I'll post again with transferring.

WP_20140705_17_10_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_17_29_12_Pro.jpg

WP_20140705_17_08_06_Pro.jpg

Awesome write up and pictures. Very much appreciated. Not to drive you nuts with questions here, but are you doing a secondary fermentation? Also using kegs or carboys? I get why you would ferment in the keg- seems super easy, how many kegs do you have?? Seems like that could create a bottle neck in brewing if one didn't have enough.

Just kicking myself because I used to have a ton but sold most them off and only have 6 left- looks like prices have seriously increased as well. I could temporarily repurpose my kegerator for lagering and do 2 lagers at once. Grrr...

Very close to pulling the trigger on one of these, still have a bit of sticker shock.

I can't speak for anyone else, by my plan is to used my used kegs as fermenters. I quit buying used a couple of years ago because of leaks in the posts, etc. So, I've got a bunch of used ones that have been just sitting here. They'll now get lots of use as fermenters.

I've got new 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs for serving. So, I intend to ferment in the used and then transfer to another keg for carbonation, lagering/cold storage, etc. The transfer also offers a nice opportunity to filter as it goes between kegs. The 2.5 gallon kegs fit inside a 5 gallon cooler with ice, which makes for a nice, portable serving option.

The re-use of kegs was a selling point for me. It standardizes the storage of beer into containers that are all the same size/shape, etc.

Given how seldom I actually need even 5 gallons of the same beer, much less 10 or more, this pipeline will work really well for me.

Hey Baja,

I have 10 kegs right now between fermenting and serving. I have four taps that I serve from. I've foregone secondary for the time being for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't have a fermentation chamber yet to keep them, nor space in my kegarator and 2) It's been such a long time since I've had beer on tap, I've been over anxious. I want to ramp up production and get a back log going for swapping, but I want better temp control before going crazy...

I'm building up plans for a built in bar/fermentation chamber in my garage that will help alleviate #1 and I just need to start doing a few double batches to offset #2. It's tough keeping beer on tap between myself and my neighbors (a good problem I see as it keeps me brewing).

I've made 7 batches now and have only used 5 of the 10 kegs (granted only three have been on tap simultaneously). I haven't had more than two batches in fermentation at a time yet, which I hope to remedy soon.

Edit: With this system, and fermenting in kegs, I'm actually likely going to offload a good amount of my carboys. Transferring from the fermenting keg to a serving or secondary is so easy! I'll post additional pictures when I do (should be tomorrow).

How much time do you think you actually spent during thew brew, not including the milling?

Hey Mike,

Total breakdown of time is as follows (and these are rough approximation based on frame of mind/sobriety):

~3-5 minutes to prep the system and get the rinse water ready and initiate the rinse
~8 minutes to go through the rinse, I prepare the grain and hops at this time
~5 minutes to fill up the brew water/load ingredients/hit go
Go about my merry way. I keep an eye on my phone or poke my head in every now and then to see if I'm close to connecting the cooling

If I chill:
~30 seconds to attached the immersion chiller/get a bucket full of ice
I could let it cycle through, but I typically stay close at this time and stir the ice.
Chilling takes about 20 minutes total between the chill/drain cycle

If I don't chill:
~30 seconds to sterilize the keg lid/put on/place in closet to ambient cool

Clean up:
~5 minutes to clean the step filter
~8 minutes to rinse and drain

Thanks for the feedback. That's exactly what I was looking for. I'm just tired of the long brew days and even at 2.5 gal the small time required is perfect. :tank:

When are the previous posters, whom were staunchly against this product, repost?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't speak for anyone else, by my plan is to used my used kegs as fermenters. I quit buying used a couple of years ago because of leaks in the posts, etc. So, I've got a bunch of used ones that have been just sitting here. They'll now get lots of use as fermenters.

I've got new 5 and 2.5 gallon kegs for serving. So, I intend to ferment in the used and then transfer to another keg for carbonation, lagering/cold storage, etc. The transfer also offers a nice opportunity to filter as it goes between kegs. The 2.5 gallon kegs fit inside a 5 gallon cooler with ice, which makes for a nice, portable serving option.

The re-use of kegs was a selling point for me. It standardizes the storage of beer into containers that are all the same size/shape, etc.

Given how seldom I actually need even 5 gallons of the same beer, much less 10 or more, this pipeline will work really well for me.

Good thoughts. I'm at the conceptualization step and I think I can make it work - maybe pick up another 4 kegs or so if I really get up and running and doing a good number of batches. The standardization of storage is a good point, and honestly the ease of using CO2 to push to secondary, etc. is appealing. Plus adding a an inline filter would be nice at times.

As to your point on not needing 5+ gallons of beer at a time, I agree - I prefer to have variety on hand, this system will allow me to try beers I never want to attack before, and the lower time investment makes it easy to accept the lower yield.

Hey Baja,

I have 10 kegs right now between fermenting and serving. I have four taps that I serve from. I've foregone secondary for the time being for a couple of reasons: 1) I don't have a fermentation chamber yet to keep them, nor space in my kegarator and 2) It's been such a long time since I've had beer on tap, I've been over anxious. I want to ramp up production and get a back log going for swapping, but I want better temp control before going crazy...

I'm building up plans for a built in bar/fermentation chamber in my garage that will help alleviate #1 and I just need to start doing a few double batches to offset #2. It's tough keeping beer on tap between myself and my neighbors (a good problem I see as it keeps me brewing).

I've made 7 batches now and have only used 5 of the 10 kegs (granted only three have been on tap simultaneously). I haven't had more than two batches in fermentation at a time yet, which I hope to remedy soon.

Edit: With this system, and fermenting in kegs, I'm actually likely going to offload a good amount of my carboys. Transferring from the fermenting keg to a serving or secondary is so easy! I'll post additional pictures when I do (should be tomorrow).

Wartho, thanks for taking the time to constantly get back to us :D :mug: Have you given any consideration to using inline filters like I posted above? Seems like it would be an easy addition but probably not necessary for every batch (especially if the filters aren't reusable.)

Any concerns about robustness or quality of the system? Anything seem cheap or likely to break (hop basket, buttons, etc?) The real life pictures are helpful - rather than the semi-glam shots I've seen on Picobrew's social media sites.

Again, I see the appeal of moving stuff between kegs - keeps everything from getting sticky, don't have to hoist up carboys onto tables and stir up the yeast. Hope you have a big CO2 tank!

Oh, and no offense, but everytime I skim past your name I actually see:

QmmwB6Nl.jpg

When are the previous posters, whom were staunchly against this product, repost?

It all comes down to whether the product fulfills someone's needs. People can present arguments for both sides, but its the consumer (or non-consumer)'s option to spend the money. And its really no one else's business to tell them how to spend it. Sure, a more beer 3-teir 10-gallon gravity system starts at *only* $600 more with kettles, or double the current cost of the Picobrew for the single tier - or triple the price for the single tier with digital control. And HEY! it makes 4x as much beer (edit: wort), better ROI??

Yes, this system will occupy some kitchen cabinets like an unused bread maker for rich wannabees and give up after a few weeks. Yes, some people will never learn the science behind the process. Yes, it is a fancy wort making machine.

And so on with the arguments. It'll fit the needs of some and not others. Lets keep the informative or thought provoking posts coming.

Hey Mike,

Total breakdown of time is as follows (and these are rough approximation based on frame of mind/sobriety):

~3-5 minutes to prep the system and get the rinse water ready and initiate the rinse
~8 minutes to go through the rinse, I prepare the grain and hops at this time
~5 minutes to fill up the brew water/load ingredients/hit go
Go about my merry way. I keep an eye on my phone or poke my head in every now and then to see if I'm close to connecting the cooling

If I chill:
~30 seconds to attached the immersion chiller/get a bucket full of ice
I could let it cycle through, but I typically stay close at this time and stir the ice.
Chilling takes about 20 minutes total between the chill/drain cycle

If I don't chill:
~30 seconds to sterilize the keg lid/put on/place in closet to ambient cool

Clean up:
~5 minutes to clean the step filter
~8 minutes to rinse and drain
^^^^^ This is what appeals most to me and I think a lot of other brewers.
The time savings. I simply don't have time to drop 8 hours on a 5 gal AG brew day anymore.

The automation and standardization of serving and fermenting containers is just gravy.

Sure, there will be people who buy this as their first venture into brewing and never learn the science behind it, but the value as a time saving device for experienced brewers is immeasurable.

I stand by my previous post.

I like brewing. I enjoy the various steps and processes. I'm not interested in automating my hobby.

I'm right with you, which doesn't at all mean that this isn't a great product for certain people who enjoy our hobby no less. As long as we aren't getting into "you're not a real home brewer" nonsense, there's plenty of room for debate.

I love the process of brewing, arguably more than I like drinking beer. I would feel like I had lost something if I automated too much. Brewing is one of the few opportunities I have to literally get my hands dirty and be elbow deep in a process. But that's, as we say, just me.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Magic.

It all comes down to whether the product fulfills someone's needs. People can present arguments for both sides, but its the consumer (or non-consumer)'s option to spend the money. And its really no one else's business to tell them how to spend it. Sure, a more beer 3-teir 10-gallon gravity system starts at *only* $600 more with kettles, or double the current cost of the Picobrew for the single tier - or triple the price for the single tier with digital control. And HEY! it makes 4x as much beer (edit: wort), better ROI??

Yes, this system will occupy some kitchen cabinets like an unused bread maker for rich wannabees and give up after a few weeks. Yes, some people will never learn the science behind the process. Yes, it is a fancy wort making machine.

And so on with the arguments. It'll fit the needs of some and not others. Lets keep the informative or thought provoking posts coming.

I've been watching this post since it started, I also bought one of these systems. I just wanted to add a few comments.... I will try to to offend anyone.

First let me give you a little background on myself. I've been brewing my own beer for about 15 or 16 years now. I have either used or purchased every varient you can come up with. I had my own commercial brewery for a few years. I've read tons of books of brewing, and taken the American Brewers Guild Concise Brewing Course. Most of my friends are professional brewers. I've had my stuff on tap at many beer fests. I have a background in chemistry and microbiology....oh, and I'm still on active duty with the military (hopefully retire in 2 years).

I agree with you on the cost. I'm sure we have all spent way more than we should have on brewing equipment. I found it a bit harsh when you called it a fancy wort making machine for rich wannabees. I don't think that is a fair assessment of it.

I don't see how anyone would not learn the science behind the brewing process with this machine. Other than having the mash and boil be somewhat automated, you are still involved with the brewing process. Unless I'm mistaken (I don't have my machine yet), you have the ability to use advanced settings. I agree that it could be a "plug and play" system, only after you have done the work to set it up. Which would include the "science".
Do people that just brew from kits, or extract not understand the science? I would argue that they do. It's just a quicker way of brewing.

From what I can tell about the system, it saves the brewer time. Who doesn't want that.....wife, kids, house, job...everyone has something in their lives that demands more time. If I can cut my brew day down by hours, I'm in.
Anyway....let the comments begin..... I really hope that is didn't offend anyone, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Cheers,
Kris

any and all feedback is more than welcome..

I don't see how anyone would not learn the science behind the brewing process with this machine.

<snip>

Do people that just brew from kits, or extract not understand the science? I would argue that they do. It's just a quicker way of brewing.

From what I can tell about the system, it saves the brewer time. Who doesn't want that.....wife, kids, house, job...everyone has something in their lives that demands more time. If I can cut my brew day down by hours, I'm in.

I think it's definitely possible to brew without learning the science. In fact I think that's how a lot of people brew and they're not missing out. It's not what the hobby is about for them. So I agree that "not learning the science" is a bogus complaint, though for different reasons.

Regarding time, I don't want to cut my brewing time short to do other things. Brewing isn't something I'm doing *instead* of something I enjoy. As I said above, I love the process, so it isn't something I would avoid if I could. Since I brew with my wife and my kids help out, brewing isn't something that's taking me away from my family, it's something that brings is together.

Different people get different things out of home brewing. For me, this appliance isn't a good fit, even leaving aside the question of cost. I'm glad that people are enjoying using it and making great beer with it. If someone has a problem with **that**, I can't figure out why they're here.

I think it's definitely possible to brew without learning the science. In fact I think that's how a lot of people brew and they're not missing out. It's not what the hobby is about for them. So I agree that "not learning the science" is a bogus complaint, though for different reasons.

Regarding time, I don't want to cut my brewing time short to do other things. Brewing isn't something I'm doing *instead* of something I enjoy. As I said above, I love the process, so it isn't something I would avoid if I could. Since I brew with my wife and my kids help out, brewing isn't something that's taking me away from my family, it's something that brings is together.

Different people get different things out of home brewing. For me, this appliance isn't a good fit, even leaving aside the question of cost. I'm glad that people are enjoying using it and making great beer with it. If someone has a problem with **that**, I can't figure out why they're here.

Good points.

I'm one of those.... meh science.... meh math.... I've always been a literature arts/history guy.... I brew like I cook..... with a basic understanding... and then I go by feel...

Now I do and have learned the basic science of brewing over the last year, from reading books and the brewing process...but that part doesn't interest me in the least.....

In fact.. I haven't even taken an absolute measurement of ABV on any of my brews.... because I make small batches and don't want to waste any wort and since I'm not selling it, it doesn't really matter.

I know if I'm careful and follow process, I'm going to be close to the numbers given to me by beersmith or the numbers the recipe claims. Maybe I'm a bit over... maybe a bit under... but it shouldn't be far off.

neither does sitting around crunching math numbers... there are plenty of awesome engineering degreed brewers out there that love that part... and that's great! I've been around them at tastings and shares while they talk about the numbers... and are very excited... and I do learn a bit here and there from that.

To me... automation is just like me using my oven.... I have a nice gas oven at my home... having used it a lot.. I can trust the temps when I put my food in there...I get the right ingredients, prep them correctly and let the tool do the rest of the work.

Brewing on my stove top.. it is a pain to sit there and babysit and watch my temps... it is the part I hate the most....

That is why this equipment interests me... yes, I wish it was less expensive... though I certainly don't think you have to be rich to afford it.. you may just have to.... like me.. save up to get one... and that is my plan over the next year.

I'll still get to be in charge of the fermenting temps and other decisions... (oh.. and I'll ferment in my new fully automated STC1000 run chest freezer..;) )

There are guys that have busted their tales putting together large, fully automated brewing systems in their garage... I'm amazed by that... and wish I had the talent/engineering skills.... and garage space to do that...hats off to them!

Hats off to the guys who brew over gas, outside in the heat or in the cold of winter... I respect that also!

In the end, I hope this is the answer for me. I'm going to be watching closely over the next few months as I start to save up money to get one.

I appreciate all of the good debate, information and help on this thread.

Cheers everyone... no matter how you brew.

For me my issues were:
  • Cost (minor issue) - It is expensive, no one can argue against that. And you could DIY something a lot cheaper... but for an out the box ready to go system it does have value and I would say all things considered including the need to turn a profit it is about the right price.
  • DMS (major issue) - This has been (apparently) debunked (but a small independent sample size) - What I would like to see is Picobrew Zymatic beers being judged in a BJCP comp so we can get unbiased feedback.
  • Cleaning (major) - To me this still has not been fully addressed and it is still to early to tell from the short time the product has been on the market. I would like to see a Zymatic disassembled after 20 brews only following the recommended cleaning regime.
  • Parts (major) - Hopefully not an issue if the Zymatic stick around... and issue if it is gone in a few years. Can any of those that have one post a parts list that should be in the manual (I am only assuming it would be since this is a expensive piece of kit)?
Anyone feel free to change my mind on any of my issues - although I will never buy one... but that's mostly because I don't have that sort of spare cash laying around :D

Anyway....let the comments begin..... I really hope that is didn't offend anyone, just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

Cheers,
Kris

any and all feedback is more than welcome..

I have no qualms with the points you've made. I've found it strange that people have gotten somewhat enraged by the concept of this machine and have fought against when they likely should just take a step back and say "it just isn't for me."

As a natural skeptic - there are many things I wanted to know that weren't being said in their funding campaigns, which is why I reached out to Picobrew and got some answers (posted a few pages back.) Now that folks are getting their hands on them and are giving real world reviews, I'm even more impressed. My final sticking point is the quality of the product and the longevity of the system, which at this point has to be based off of folks perceptions. I haven't seen picobrew provide details about the system warranty (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) since their "we'll take care of early adopters" in their kickstarter (and someone on HBT saying 90 days), either of which is moderately concerning for a $1700 system.

Automation, gadgets, saving time brewing and still making quality beer are all of interest to me. I'm hoping this system ends up being everything they're saying it is!

It would be nice to see at least a one year warranty... though for the price a three year warranty should be in order... in my opinion.

If anyone ends up with one of these in the Houston area, I'd love to come take a look at it.... if possible!

Hey Baja,

Wartho, thanks for taking the time to constantly get back to us Have you given any consideration to using inline filters like I posted above? Seems like it would be an easy addition but probably not necessary for every batch (especially if the filters aren't reusable.)

Any concerns about robustness or quality of the system? Anything seem cheap or likely to break (hop basket, buttons, etc?) The real life pictures are helpful - rather than the semi-glam shots I've seen on Picobrew's social media sites.

Again, I see the appeal of moving stuff between kegs - keeps everything from getting sticky, don't have to hoist up carboys onto tables and stir up the yeast. Hope you have a big CO2 tank!

Oh, and no offense, but everytime I skim past your name I actually see:

I don't mind in the least bit. It seems the PicoBrew has been somewhat controversial on this forum so I thought I would put in my 2-cents since I actually have one.

I haven't thought of putting in an inline filter, although it would be simple enough to do. Since I haven't entertained the thought of entering in a brew to a festival, I haven't been overly concerned with the cosmetics. I have had a few pours at PicoBrew and it comes out quite clear. The filtering within the system picks up a lot of the residuals. I just haven't been patient enough to allow a cold crash to fully take effect before a tap is blown...

I've been very happy with the quality of the system so far. Granted, I am in manufacturing, so I am tolerant of early system bugs. I got on Kickstarter early enough to get one of the first 5, so I knew they were early and not off the production line. Any issue that occurs, which there have been only a few, (mostly software/firmware which is easily remedied) PicoBrew has been quick to respond. Also, there is a 1 year warranty on the system. I'll take a snap shot of the paper. All the Mechanicals seem solidly built. With applied common sense, I can't see this not lasting the long haul.

I have a couple of #5 tanks and a #20 tank. The damned #20 leaked on me recently though... My own fault. Sigh.

And your Wharburgl reminds me of the Fire Hose.

firehose.jpg

Is there a cooling accessory you can buy that interfaces with this system?

When mine comes in.....anyone in the area is more than welcome to come over and check it out. Baha, I live in central mass by Sturbridge. If you're still in RI you should come by and we'll have a brew / drink day.

Is there a cooling accessory you can buy that interfaces with this system?

At NHC, they had it attached to a standard copper coil chiller. The chiller went in a bucket of ice and the wort went through the coil. The chiller was attached to the tubing via the combination of hose clamps and splices you'd expect homebrewers to come up with.

I talked to them about other options and I've got a Therminator sitting here that I'll be using to chill for mine. From everything I've seen of the software, you just include a step to wait for you to attach the chiller, and, when it gets that far, it will wait until you tell it that you've done so.

But, I also know there's been talk of taking a page from the Australians' book and just keeping things covered up well and not force chilling at all, just waiting for it to naturally cool and pitch yeast the next day.

Passing the wort through a chilled coil as you described seems to be a good way to do it. Not that much extra stuff would be required and it would be very clean.

But I can't see people who have experienced the results of proper fast chilling to ever go back to letting the wort cool in its own time.

Passing the wort through a chilled coil as you described seems to be a good way to do it. Not that much extra stuff would be required and it would be very clean.

But I can't see people who have experienced the results of proper fast chilling to ever go back to letting the wort cool in its own time.

I totally agree about quick chilling, but there should be absolutely no reason that you couldn't use a counterflow or plate chiller easily with this appliance, especially if you've got a pump handy.

Wargarble, in your post with the pictures, you showed your target recipe for an oatmeal stout was 1.047 however when you measured your gravity you got 1.056? (not sure if those were the numbers exactly).

That's a huge gap in target OG. I thought that was one of the perks of the system is hitting your numbers.

And also can anyone else that was at NHC comment to the quality of the beer they tasted from the Zymatic booth?

Any time you take a recipe brewed on one system to another system, you're likely to get a difference in efficiency and need to re-calibrate the numbers used for your recipes.

The question of numbers comes down more to whether, if he brewed the same recipe again today, if he'd hit 1.056 again and again.

As for the beer at the NHC booth, everything I tasted (it was several) were well made. They weren't "exciting" or "trendy" styles, but I didn't pick up any of the flaws that you get dinged for in competition. That's why I asked about flaws picked up. Being "impressed" is something that is pretty subjective and is tied to one's expectations.

I heard lots of homebrewers at NHC at various sub-events I was at clearly reflecting that if a beer wasn't new and exciting in some way, they weren't impressed.

But, I also know lots of homebrewers that are impressed as hell when someone brews an absolutely perfect doppelbock with no flaws, despite it not being anything "new". I'm in this group. And, the beers I tasted were well made without flaws. Might I have altered the recipe to fit my subjective tastes? Sure. But, that can fairly easily be separated from the ability of the machine to execute on a given recipe, brewing it without flaws, consistently. I've seen enough of that being true that I hope to have my machine in the next couple of weeks.

No offence, but that descriptor is far more indicative of the fermentation side of the brewing process.

Isn't that all the more reason people shouldn't be super-upset about this machine's existence? If clean beer that matches the intended style is all about fermentation, then this machine is just a prelude to the real show.

But, if clean, nominal examples of the style DON'T speak to the ability of the machine to brew good beer, what does? It really should be about the beer. Obviously, the blind tasting of sanctioned judging has the best case to really answer the question, but, at this point, even the samples those of us have had really can speak to the quality.

1. Lack of flaws that derive from pre-fermentation process. I didn't get any, but am perfectly willing to hear from those with better palettes than mine that there are flaws I missed. I got no DMS, despite at least one of the samples I tried being mostly Pilsner malt. No diacetyl beyond what the styles allow for. No acetaldehyde, or any of the other flaws that would indicate bad mashing or boiling.
2. No beers wildly out of style for mouthfeel. If the mash schedules in the machine were screwed up in some way, we should get super-dry doppelbocks or chewy saisons. Clean, nominal examples of style indicate that the intended mash temps were hit, the enzymes kicked in as expected and conversion of the expected amounts of starches to sugars and dextrins happened.
3. Efficient extraction. Since none of the beers I tasted were way low in alcohol, we can see that the machine extracts reasonable amounts of sugars from grain. Given the example of overshooting gravity, it actually points to the machine being more efficient at extraction than at least one homebrewer who made the switch.
4. Appropriate bitterness. Nominal examples of style require beers that are not wildly under-hopped or overhopped. Given "normal" brewing makes it fairly difficult to overhop beer with standard processes, the risk of a machine (particularly one that sets the boil portion of the program below 212F/100C) underhopping is what we'd need to look for. So, beers that taste appropriately bitter (and the examples I tasted did) indicate that hop alpha acid extraction is working correctly.

Post-boil, while dismissed as not relevant in the quoted comment, these beers were fermented in a keg, so the fact they're clean, not oxidized, etc. indicates that the differing fermentation vessel doesn't cause major fermentation problems.

The only quality question I didn't have answered in my samples is how well late/aromatic hop additions work, since none of the samples I had were of the hoppy styles. But, I know that the sample recipes include a Pliny clone, so there have clearly been experiments done in that direction.

There are things we have to wait for answers (like the cleaning issues and any potential build-up of deposits, etc.) to be sure about, but "clean, nominal examples of the style" indicate that the machine makes beer as well as more "normal" homebrew gear. And, given how many samples at club night *failed* that test, clearly this machine is within the margin that actual brewing and fermentation skills vary between brewers.

Back