Picobrew Z

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given the capacity of the Z2 and purpose-built continuous use, I’m thinking it’s a wort-generating machine any brewers club would want to take up a collection and purchase. Granted, it would need to be housed somewhere, but can you imagine the popularity of this machine among a group of people who want to go all-grain but also don’t want to invest in their own all-grain operations? I think every brewer supply business in the country would want to have the 10 gallon system running in the back. And every brewing club would want a 5 gallon system to play with.

Last edited:
In theory I agree with you but I would wait if I was a club or Buisness. Pico has been great with their support but there have been some issues with the OGZ. So I would wait and see how the Z series performs before making plans like continuous brewing for a club/Buisness.

In theory I agree with you but I would wait if I was a club or Buisness. Pico has been great with their support but there have been some issues with the OGZ. So I would wait and see how the Z series performs before making plans like continuous brewing for a club/Buisness.

It would be nice to know how the pre-sales have split out. I suspect it’s been mostly us home brewers. At $1.5K or $2K a pop, 2.4M in sales is only, let’s say around 1,400 purchasers. The number is sort of underwhelming, even if sales double or triple through July. Fortunately the Zymatic doesn’t seem to suffer from bad reviews. The issues probably weren’t that bad? as I’ve had trouble finding serious critical reviews. What were the worst or most significant? Do you have confidence in Pico to correct those issues?

I was interested, but this seems totally underwhelming. Basically stacking together multiple zymatics to increase batch size seems pretty goofy. Further, suggesting that brewers are going to start commercial breweries with a 10 gallon system is nuts.

I believe they're referring to selling Paks of your recipes, not starting a brewery.

Man, more power to those that want and can afford this, but I just really don't get it. I'm not being a hater I just don't see the advantage here.

The advantage? 1) probably built to last 2) documentation of the process 3) cleanup cycle 4) recipe flexibility with kit or own recipe 5) mature product cycle 6) introductory price 7) personally I’m going from extract/bottles to all-grain kegging 8) automation 9) 2 or more recipes at once 10) future flexibility 11) something to blow my tax rebate on 12) lifetime cost per batch is low 13) cool gadget factor 14) makes other people feel baffled 15) wife doesn’t care 16) I’m old enough to buy cool crap for myself, and in 30 years I’ll probably be dead.

The advantage? 1) probably built to last 2) documentation of the process 3) cleanup cycle 4) recipe flexibility with kit or own recipe 5) mature product cycle 6) introductory price 7) personally I’m going from extract/bottles to all-grain kegging 8) automation 9) 2 or more recipes at once 10) future flexibility 11) something to blow my tax rebate on 12) lifetime cost per batch is low 13) cool gadget factor 14) makes other people feel baffled 15) wife doesn’t care 16) I’m old enough to buy cool crap for myself, and in 30 years I’ll probably be dead.

Perfectly said.

Did anyone order the Distillery? i ordered a Z2 and the Distillery add on. I ordered a z2 system because due to a busy schedule this will help me be able to brew more often. Currently I'm lucky if i can brew a few times a year. I hope this will help.

I mean I'd question #1. Otherwise sure the automation is great. it's just at these volumes and price point I don't see many of these as advantages over other semi-automated or traditional systems. Regardless I hope it works out for you.

Perfectly said.

Did anyone order the Distillery? i ordered a Z2 and the Distillery add on. I ordered a z2 system because due to a busy schedule this will help me be able to brew more often. Currently I'm lucky if i can brew a few times a year. I hope this will help.

Distillery? Do you speak of the PicoStill?

I mean I'd question #1. Otherwise sure the automation is great. it's just at these volumes and price point I don't see many of these as advantages over other semi-automated or traditional systems. Regardless I hope it works out for you.

The thing is, I could go other routes if someone made a compelling argument for a specific route to take, that wasn’t solely cost driven. If there are better outcomes to be had, I would want to consider them, cost factor aside. But clearly anyone considering this particular solution is not driven by cost. I have the coin. If I didn’t, I would try to find an equally good experience and perhaps exchange more labor for lower cost. However, when all is purchased, and time/labor factored in, I believe I will have spent close to that Z and really, close is good enough, considering other advantages of the system. There are intangibles as well. Sort of like the sound my flat-plane crank naturally aspirated V8 when I hit 8500 rpm. It makes me smile. I believe in more smiles per mile. I believe I will get some smiles out of the Z, knowing that a cruder system will still break someday, and if it did, I’d be on my own to troubleshoot and fix it. I’d rather box it up than spend hours dinking with it. At my age I’ve dinked with enough crap to keep it going. Philosophy now is drink, travel, go fishing, drive, don’t dink.

I went ahead and placed an order today. I'm a sucker for automation, and I've been happy with their previous offerings.

There appears to be no threads on the picostill. Anyone using one and getting good results? I’d be interested if I could make a variety of flavored moonshine without going blind.

It's not released yet. I think the release date is march or april. I ordered one, but limited info out there on it. Almost none actually.

It's not released yet. I think the release date is march or april. I ordered one, but limited info out there on it. Almost none actually.

The release for the PicoStill is supposed to be this month. I am also curious whether or not it will be available for the Pico Pro/S brew keg or just for the Pico C.

At the current discount price, I am confident that the Z2 is an even better value than my original Zymatic was when I bought it. Given how pleased with my old unit I am after 40 plus brews, I am considering the upgrade.

I'd have to be assured I could clean the column in the picostill. The inside has got to get contaminated with resins and all sorts of sticky organics.

Hey All!

I'm new here and just posted my first thread about my curiosity on what peoples thoughts were on the PicoBrew Z and if it could be a good system for a newb like myself. I wanted to connect on this thread as well and the existing conversation about this product and see what others might think. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the PicoBrew Z, if it's worth the price tag, and if it would work for a newbie brewer? I'm really excited about the PicoPak adapter as I'd really like to create my own in the future granted that I'm able to hone my skills into something worthwhile to drink. They were supposed to make the adapter for the Zymatic (which I was highly considering getting), but I found out they shelved that idea once they announced the Z. Thanks in advance for your input! Really appreciated!

Here's a link to the PicoBrew Z for reference - https://www.picobrew.com/Store/Products/Z

I actually got into brewing with the PicoBrew Zymatic. I had never brewed a beer before getting my Zymatic a little over a year ago. I wouldn't say this is common way to enter the hobby but I had spent a few months researching different systems in this general market segment. I looked at the Brewie, Grainfather and Zymatic before settling on the Zymatic. I watched all the PicoBrew how-to YouTube videos a few times before I received my unit. The learning curve was fairly short if you did your homework. From the looks of the Z, it will likely be very similar in operation to the Zymatic though I expect it to be even easier/more refined. I actually ended up putting together a 10g eBIAB setup after brewing on the Zymatic for a year so I could be more involved in the process and produce more beer each session. I did end up preordering the Z1 because its nice to be able to brew 2.5-3.5g of beer pretty much hands off during those times I cant brew on my other setup. I also love gadgets and thought it worth trading in my Zymatic to have the piece of mind of support priority in the future. If you decide to go with the Z, you will not be disappointed with the customer service and support from PicoBrew, they are very responsive though email....even on the weekends. Oh yeah, it can make some awesome beer as well. If you end up deciding to go with the Z and want to save fifty bucks here is a referral code you can use KYT5W

There appears to be no threads on the picostill. Anyone using one and getting good results? I’d be interested if I could make a variety of flavored moonshine without going blind.
There’s a good reason, discussion of distilling is against the rules on HBT and will get this thread locked quick.

I actually got into brewing with the PicoBrew Zymatic. I had never brewed a beer before getting my Zymatic a little over a year ago. I wouldn't say this is common way to enter the hobby but I had spent a few months researching different systems in this general market segment. I looked at the Brewie, Grainfather and Zymatic before settling on the Zymatic. I watched all the PicoBrew how-to YouTube videos a few times before I received my unit. The learning curve was fairly short if you did your homework. From the looks of the Z, it will likely be very similar in operation to the Zymatic though I expect it to be even easier/more refined. I actually ended up putting together a 10g eBIAB setup after brewing on the Zymatic for a year so I could be more involved in the process and produce more beer each session. I did end up preordering the Z1 because its nice to be able to brew 2.5-3.5g of beer pretty much hands off during those times I cant brew on my other setup. I also love gadgets and thought it worth trading in my Zymatic to have the piece of mind of support priority in the future. If you decide to go with the Z, you will not be disappointed with the customer service and support from PicoBrew, they are very responsive though email....even on the weekends. Oh yeah, it can make some awesome beer as well. If you end up deciding to go with the Z and want to save fifty bucks here is a referral code you can use KYT5W

Thanks for your input Cubsfan16! It's great to hear a first hand experience of the products. I was originally interested in the Brewie due to the expanded capacity and similar price to the Zymatic (this is about a year ago), but it seems that the company never got their act together and that lots of owners have issues with their machines or that they don't work at all. They apparently have a new system that they are starting to sell in 5 days. It sounds like they may be leaving their early adopters in the dust and just focusing on the new model. But maybe not.

Thanks for your input Cubsfan16! It's great to hear a first hand experience of the products. I was originally interested in the Brewie due to the expanded capacity and similar price to the Zymatic (this is about a year ago), but it seems that the company never got their act together and that lots of owners have issues with their machines or that they don't work at all. They apparently have a new system that they are starting to sell in 5 days. It sounds like they may be leaving their early adopters in the dust and just focusing on the new model. But maybe not.

Yeah, I actually liked the Brewie better than the Zymatic early on. I’m sure glad I didn’t go with it now, from all accounts I have seen, customer service is the polar opposite of what I have experienced with PicoBrew. I also saw they were releasing something new....the forums of brewie owners were pretty critical of the announcement.

Given the capacity of the Z2 and purpose-built continuous use, I’m thinking it’s a wort-generating machine any brewers club would want to take up a collection and purchase. Granted, it would need to be housed somewhere, but can you imagine the popularity of this machine among a group of people who want to go all-grain but also don’t want to invest in their own all-grain operations? I think every brewer supply business in the country would want to have the 10 gallon system running in the back. And every brewing club would want a 5 gallon system to play with.

Funny that you say so, I was thinking along those lines. Open up a brew club to show others how to brew and membership fees to allow access to the machine.

There’s a good reason, discussion of distilling is against the rules on HBT and will get this thread locked quick.
Really? Is there was/is a legal reason for this or just policies they set?

If you are thinking about buying a Z use the following code you will get a discount. It will help me get some money back of too...thanks in advance ;)

PB12Y

If you are thinking about buying a Z use the following code you will get a discount. It will help me get some money back of too...thanks in advance ;)

PB12Y

I checked my code and it doesn’t work. Anybody else have the same issue?

Really? Is there was/is a legal reason for this or just policies they set?
Both. They were hardcore about it. Picostill posts in my Pico users thread got deleted and I got warnings from admin even though I wasn’t posting them lol. If that policy has changed I wasn’t aware.

I checked my code and it doesn’t work. Anybody else have the same issue?

How did you check it? You tried ordering another one? Did you do it from the same web browser? You might still be logged in under picobrew.

My code is KYXY3. See if that one gives you a discount.

I've had people claim they used my code, but I haven't seen a rebate show up.

How did you check it? You tried ordering another one? Did you do it from the same web browser? You might still be logged in under picobrew.

My code is KYXY3. See if that one gives you a discount.

I've had people claim they used my code, but I haven't seen a rebate show up.

It’s my own code. Just put something in the cart to check yours.

Well, if you're randomly looking for a code to use, please consider using mine. I used the one for the OP (Goblism), so he'll get a discount on his too. I'd appreciate using mine in the off chance you're going to buy one. Thanks in advance!

KYY1H

Both. They were hardcore about it. Picostill posts in my Pico users thread got deleted and I got warnings from admin even though I wasn’t posting them lol. If that policy has changed I wasn’t aware.
Looks like PB12Y is working.

I've ordered the Z2 as well - was looking for the upgrade path to Z3/Z4 later. 240V needed for either - have a gas dryer and the 240V outlet is unused (lucky).

The consistency of the brew process and the new recipe crafter is what I am interested in. I did much extract brewing as well as a bit of all grain but just never had consistency - nor what I would consider a proper environment and and equipment to brew with. Have that now and looking forward to crafting new beers and even creating my own PicoPaks to list on the Picobrew marketplace. Scaling to the Z4 could help pilot batches that I may share with a local nanobrewer to see how it goes - good fun.

One other thing for the Z2, Z3 and Z4: You can brew different beers in each section - so you can get a nice IPA and smoked porter brewed in the same brew time. Smaller batches for each - but a great way to experiment before scaling up.

In addition you can sous vide and also make cold brew coffee in 2 hours (with addon kit) - instead of a day.

And get $50 off with this code (just like the others it kicks in a rebate for me too): KYT6T

Last edited:

For me its literally just the full on automation. I have two small kids. Finding a good chunk of time where I can be assured to be available is a challenge. Being able to set everything up in the AM, then midafternoon tell it to go, and come home from work to wort that just needs chilling is a very valuable proposition for me.

And if anyone particularly likes me, or particularly dislikes everyone else who has posted a discount code, feel free to use mine to get your $50 discount on an order. ;) https://www.picobrew.com/Store/Products/Z/?pbref=KYV72

Latest posts

Back